Large Scale Central

Building the old CVRR Lemoyne/J Tower which now resides at Stras

Thanks to Mr. Radder it now resides in the Articles section.
http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/view.php?id=111

David. This is just the sort of thing that should be saved as an article in the Articles section of the Forum. Look on the toolbar above, it is two buttons to the right of “Forums,” just between “Chat,” and “Freight Sheds.” This will preserve your article for all to see and refer to. If left here, it will eventually disappear.

I am still in awe of your skill. You have given me several ideas for finishing the Skookum Warehouse.

David,

How much experience do you have with varnish? How many coats did you put on your work?

Steve Featherkile said:
David. This is just the sort of thing that should be saved as an article in the [url=http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles]Articles[/url] section of the Forum. Look on the toolbar above, it is two buttons to the right of "Forums," just between "Chat," and "Freight Sheds." This will preserve your article for all to see and refer to. If left here, it will eventually disappear.

I am still in awe of your skill. You have given me several ideas for finishing the Skookum Warehouse.

Thats what I thought I was doing…I’m weak on PC skills!

You got it right,David.
It is in the articles section.
Steve just suffered a brain fart.
Ralph

Not quite Ralph -

The is the Articles forum. A place to announce and discuss articles that have been published in the Articles page of the website. Look at the menu tabs at the top and click Articles. Or go here: http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/

The difference is that the Articles Section contains only articles. There is no discussion and things don’t get buried with time. You can also use lots more HTML code in the articles section if you want to, but you don’t need to be a computer whiz. Plain text or cut-and-paste from the forums works pretty good too.

Dave - You’ve already done all the work by posting it here. You can easily move it to articles should you care to. “Reply and Quote” will get all your work in an edit box where it can be copied. Just paste tyhat into a new Article. Don’t forget to remove the Quote tags.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,
My apologies to Steve. It was I who suffered the brain fart :rolleyes:
I saw Index>>>Articles>>> and did not know we had two different “Articles” sections.
Ralph

Jon Radder said:
Not quite Ralph -

The is the Articles forum. A place to announce and discuss articles that have been published in the Articles page of the website. Look at the menu tabs at the top and click Articles. Or go here: http://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/

The difference is that the Articles Section contains only articles. There is no discussion and things don’t get buried with time. You can also use lots more HTML code in the articles section if you want to, but you don’t need to be a computer whiz. Plain text or cut-and-paste from the forums works pretty good too.

Dave - You’ve already done all the work by posting it here. You can easily move it to articles should you care to. “Reply and Quote” will get all your work in an edit box where it can be copied. Just paste tyhat into a new Article. Don’t forget to remove the Quote tags.

Jon,
Thats the problem Firefox won’t allow me to copy and paste from here to the Articles section with out changing prefered settings. I’m not jumping to IE nor am I changing anything. Guess I’ll have to re-write the thing sometime.
It would be nice to have the pictures uploaded and stored in the Articles section here then I can change my host(photobucket) around and just paste the link in the modeling section. For some strange reason when I saw the menu in the Articles section I thought I could just do it here and it would be like TAAAAHHH DAAAAHH it’s done!
I just hate sitting here trying to figure that stuff out and it’s like every board I do is different(none hobby related).
I moved this here using edit and copy/paste

Ric Golding said:
David,

How much experience do you have with varnish? How many coats did you put on your work?

I used 2 coats of urethane. One as a spray to soak in and one as a finish. As for experience with the stuff perhaps the below link will answer that.
http://saabpics.com:3000/gallery2/v/MrWinkey/album463/?g2_page=1

My only thoughts on the urethane or varnish is that it will not be as durable as the painted surfaces. A Summer outside may have an undesired impact on your work.

So - when it get’s all crapped up from being outside he can just paint it butt ugly like the Penn Central version :o

What about Spar Varnish? Isn’t that designed to be outside in a marine environment?

Steve Featherkile said:
What about Spar Varnish? Isn't that designed to be outside in a marine environment?
Yes, Spar Varnish is for outside use, like "spars" (mast and boom) of sailboats. 6 coats on bare wood, then sand to fogginess and 2 new coats each spring and the same in the fall. Should last that way about 4 years, then strip down and start the process with 6 more coats. Looks good, but it is a little labor intensive. ;-)
Ric Golding said:
My only thoughts on the urethane or varnish is that it will not be as durable as the painted surfaces. A Summer outside may have an undesired impact on your work.
Not concerned about that a bit....Besides as Jon stated it can always be painted. The top coat is the "Man o War" marine poly cannot remember the exact name of the stuff as the label is now gone from the can. I actually have a small table I whipped up for the wife that sits out year round sealed with Minwax poly and it's been fine for several years. The redwood could always be painted. I think I'm just gonna give the thing to Strasburg anyway as it's way to fragile for my layout. Dog tried to wiz on it several times and the football has come close. What I need is one of the internet savy guys here to move this into the Articles section. I guess i could purchase a Freight Shed and that would make it easier.

I’d be happy to try and move it for you, but I’ll need Bob to rename the author if he can.

Jon Radder said:
I'd be happy to try and move it for you, but I'll need Bob to rename the author if he can.
Thank you Jon,I appreciate that!...honestly I don't care who the author is listed as. You guys are the ones that suggested(actually Ric) said it should be in the articles section. I just enjoy sharing my work and this hobby. The internet and it's options to me are like cars to most people. I just put the gas in and go!

OK - lemme see what I can do in the morning. Putting it there will ensure that the photos don’t go away.

David -

Your article has been posted over in the Articles section under my name with your name in the title.

I thought that doing this actually copied the photos to perminent LSC storage space, but I’m not so sure now since the HTML source code for the article points to your photobucket space.

As it turned out, it was a little more than cut-and paste from here. I had to change the code around each photo from the URL code inserted by LSC’s quote function to the HTML Img Source tag. Not a big deal, just repatative.

But it’s done and your artical published and announced.

Jon Radder said:
David -

Your article has been posted over in the Articles section under my name with your name in the title.

I thought that doing this actually copied the photos to perminent LSC storage space, but I’m not so sure now since the HTML source code for the article points to your photobucket space.

As it turned out, it was a little more than cut-and paste from here. I had to change the code around each photo from the URL code inserted by LSC’s quote function to the HTML Img Source tag. Not a big deal, just repatative.

But it’s done and your artical published and announced.

Jon,
I thank you very much and I owe you! Not sure why Firefox would not allow cut and paste in the articles section as such? Perhaps because of the code. I see you also edited it a bit(I believe) and I thank you for that as well! It would have taken me hours to figure that out! Either way it looks great and hopefully it may be useful to someone as other articles here have been for me. Hope you browsed my PB site…:wink: I think I want to build my house next!
David

No problem David.

I use Firefox too. The trick to cut-and-paste is to use the “Reply and Quote” function of LSC, then copy everything inside the Quote tags. That worked fine for the text and the pathnames of the photos, but the Article editor didn’t automatically make the pictures viewable, so I had to do a little HTLM coding to make that happen. There is an Insert Picture function in the editor, but since I know how to do it in HTML it was faster that way.

As far as editing goes, the only thing I know I did was to add some returns around the images so I could find them in the text. Other than breaking the article up into pages using the divisions you had already made with your signature and making the links clickable, I don’t recall any edits.

I need to ask Bob, but it looks like copying the post to the article section DOES NOT make a permanent copy of the photos, so if you ever delete them from where they are stored, the article will break too.