Large Scale Central

Rail Truck

Product quality 104. :

I set set my new rail truck (82396) out on the track for it’s second run and I was amazed at the realistic cloud of smoke that emanated from the truck as I applied power. The truck continued to run and the smoke dissapated. After a few turns around the layout I parked that truck and tried the RGS truck. OOOps, Bummer, no smoke. That sort gave me clue. The first truck had a problem. Yup. Something shorted, red wire from RR wheel to board, and yellow to RF melted insulation. Woderbar, bare wire city.

Then I looked at the PC board in the Back of the truck. Gee Wizzz. Got enough diodes, resistors, transistors and capasitors to run an energy plant.
The truck might need at most 3 resitors, 1 capacitor, for the lights.

What the heck are all these parts in there for. No wiring diagram to show how they are used, or not. DCC??? for what?? DC or RC I believe is major focus in 1:20. Or are we using all that stuff when the switch is set to NMRA.

Bmann, Can I get a schematic?? Or should I just toss the board and rewire??

I tried to hook a decoder up to the PC board and got nothing. I ended up removing it.

John,

You seem to be addressing Johann. I’m not sure that he monitors this board.

I would post this over on the Bachmann board.

-Brian

I completely removed the board from mine and rewired it. Of course I did add sound and RC along with a few other mods.

Good luck calling Bachmann. When I was modifying it, I broke one of the pieces on the pilot. I called Bachmann and was told the truck was “too new” to have any parts in stock. If I recall correctly, the Rail Truck had been out for about two years at that time. I ended up using some brass rod to fix it.

Toss that board, it will make you feel better. LOL I removed the entire board when I installed airwire and mine preforms quite well.

John

Good Morning … well this is my biggest URK in Large scale is the what seems the lack of quality control OR lack of engineering OR just plain dont really care Im in it for the money sindrom, in my checkbook when I buy a product in good faith and bring it home and it craps very soon after purchase you should not have to fix nothing, Id take the silly thing back to where you bought it and tell them to keep it, and I mean not keep the item for 6 months, I mean either replace it 100% OR heck maybe I dont even want a second one after what the first one did ?? LOL

Yes alot of people here figure out ways to cure all that ails the manufacturers models but really nobody should have to fix much short of running it 24/7 for 6 months just my thoughts … you can say what you want about the more " toylike " manufactureres ( 2 ) at least they kinda get it right if they were running anything but PIKO and LGB at Epcot 24/7 I wonder how many of the others would be stalled on the tracks ?, dont get me wrong, love the offerings from the others BUT just find this is the biggest obsticle LS has to overcome.

I just dont understand why to this day just cant get it right the first time and why it takes 3 runs to fix the silly stuff … Mmmmmm ?

Not a debate but many of you know this is kinda true

Terry Baumann

Terry,

The witty (German?) explanation for BETA-testing is the “B” stands for "B"ananas, they have to ripen after you bought them.

That still leaves the “ETA” for more clarifications. :wink:

Hans

Ya Im witty ! … are you geting my Emails ?, IM sending them to your website, have some questions for you

Terry

Terry,

Nope, could be the SPAM sorter, try the one that’s listed here.

Terry Baumann said:
John

Good Morning … well this is my biggest URK in Large scale is the what seems the lack of quality control OR lack of engineering OR just plain dont really care Im in it for the money sindrom, in my checkbook when I buy a product in good I just dont understand why to this day just cant get it right the first time and why it takes 3 runs to fix the silly stuff … Mmmmmm ?

Not a debate but many of you know this is kinda true

Terry Baumann

Nice reply Terry, Thanks.

The fact is that the insulation on the wiring is crappy. I failed when squezzed into a chase improperly.

Second point is the board has much more on it than is required for normal use. It may be that the componets there will support DCC, which I do not care to deal with. I’d like the schematic for the product so I can use what I purchased.

Third point is the Bmann igniores this.

I know he is a great modeler and pro-typer but is not much in the way of real assistance. Pass the buck to service, if you can get them. The Guy is AUS really got lots of help. I don’t expect I will see a decent response for the wiring, other than a have fun?

I have had a few failures with the Bachmann products, but request parts only,
I have never sent one back.

I do feel that I get what I pay for in most cases. I do not have any in the scrap pile.

John

Hey, I’ve got quite a scrap pile, and saving all of it!
Yank the stupid board.
I always wonder if that was the preliminary Ames Super Socket…

Hopefully you fixed the screws in the final drive.

I had a rail truck.

It’s somewhere in North Carolina now.

I have a Shay I bought new, 11-1/2 years ago it seems.
Third set of trucks.
Heisler that has needed major surgery to get lube to the brush end of the motor and non-functional chuff contacts, and another version of interface board.
Climax that needed 50 hours of run-in, then major repairs (ever figure out why they call if BREAK-in?).

Couple of 2-8-0’s, trucks fall apart, motors fall off gearboxes, another one of them stupid boards.
Counterweights keep falling off, even with lock-tite.

Anniversary that runs great…once we put a BBT 2-8-0 chassis under it.
Got 4 more, 3 of which have BBT 8-wheel drive blocks, one is a 4-6-0 BBT.
One is kept here, not mine, has a BBT 4-6-0 drive.

Got a “new” Porter that waddles down the track.
Got a saddle-tanker on the shelf, new drive, still lurches down the track.

Got an OLD Porter runs real nice.

Had a 3-truck Shay with quasinami, until it let the smoke out.
And a DIFFERENT version of interface board.

I have a cutting torch (1:22.5), think I’ll set up a scrap line and take pictures.

Until I see, in print on the Bochmann forum that they have cut all ties with one person in particular, I ain’t buying anything more from them.

I’ll make it myself, and use a Barry’s drive, 'cause I know it will work.

I guess I’ve been lucky with my locos’s. Getting ready to DCC the rail truck.