Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: Work on my 7/8n2 critter progresses.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 8, 2006 10:32 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

It has been a rather slow process but I have found some time to do a bit more to my 7/8n2 critter. I had to redo the coupler cut bars. The first version used some beautiful 1:20.3 Trackside Details castings with fabricated brass rods. These looked great and worked just fine but they proved to be quite fragile.

For the upgrade I made my own bearing plates from strip brass rolled and soldered at the end to form a tube which had a U pin inserted through the plate as a means of adding extra fastening to the pilot front.

I hope these will last longer. I have also added fascia boards all round the top of the cab under the roof. These were made of 1/4" x 1/8" stripwood cut to length and joined side by side for depth. They were stained walnut and then glued to the brass frame. I used the heads of dressmmaker pins to simulate bolts.

To improve the lot of the loco engineer I thought an enlightened approach to his comfort would be to add curtains to the roof. These were made of scrap pillow material cut to size. Top and bottom were glued between two very thin strips of wood and rolled up. To prevent the edges fraying I applied a very thin coat of silicone adhesive and tied them in place with embroidery cotton. I fabricated small inverted V hooks so they could hang on the pinheads and be removable.

I guess the next task will be to paint the roof and supports. Painting is something I am not very good at now I don't have an airbrush and compressor any more.

Best wishes,
      Tony Walsham

Remote Control Systems. www.rcs-rc.com/
        Modern technology. Old Fashioned reliability

• April 10, 2006 5:04 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Tony ,
      Where did you get the 7/8 loco ? It looks pretty damn' nice to me , is it an Oz "one off "?
      Shame about the cut lever having to be changed , but your new one looks OK from here . Nice one , Tone .
      Mike
    • April 10, 2006 6:20 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Mike,
      There is very little stuff RTR in 7/8n2.
      A really nice Whitcomb brass dismal from Gary Watkins and various bits of rolling stock from him and Hartford.
      As I started my return to model railroading in H0n2 1/2 which at the time (1982) involved extensive kit bashing as very little was available, I decided that the nearest scale on 45 mm gauge track where the same degree of kitbashing would be required, is 7/8n2.
      As it is quite close to the 1" to the 1' dollhouse scale there are lots and lots of detail parts that can be used.
      Even some parts from other scales look appropriate. For example the headlights on the TITAN are from Bachmann 1:20.3 loks that Bart gave me. Like wise the Bell is a Trackside Details 1:20.3 casting.

The Titan started life as a USAT 1:29 scale 44 tonner with the cab removed.
      I did do a "starting from here" article but don't know where I posted it.

I do have all the pix still so if anyone wants to see them let me know.

Best wishes,
      Tony Walsham

• April 10, 2006 9:03 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Tony ,
      I sent you an email
      Mike
    • April 10, 2006 10:48 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I still can't find the early posting I put up re my 7/8n2 critter but I did trace down this update from a few years ago.
      http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=5200

Best wishes,
      Tony Walsham

• April 14, 2006 9:33 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Looking GOOD Tony, I would think that unit would run good too.

Have Fun: Jeff
    • April 14, 2006 10:56 AM EDT
      • Lancaster, Ohio

• Thanks

Looking good Tony !
Forums Modeling Modeling

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google