Large Scale Central

The Extreme Model Railroading (etc.) museum

I’m sure this has come up, but today’s the first I’ve heard of a museum for model railroading. From the newsletter and other traffic, it seems to have gone dormant since 12/2019. Hope not, it would be fun to visit!

https://www.emrca.com/

A couple of critiques, if you don’t mind. Not quite sure if it qualifies as a museum, unless they’ll have a broad offering of artifacts beyond the layout (but there doesn’t seem to me sufficient space for that?). Layout-wise, I’d dislike the straight through-corridor that lets you see everything from anywhere; personally, I really love the meandering nature of Entertrainment Junction.

Having got those off my chest, I’m all for new model RR venues that get in front of the general public. I like the detail they’ve put into their model of the model, and I love their making the command center the cool and high-tech centerpiece, instead of hiding it somewhere.

This is a for-profit gig though. And regarding the lack of action for a year and a half, maybe the market analysis said it wouldn’t have any payback? Especially with that wild freeform stainless steel architecture?! Just a guess, but it strikes me as a vanity project gone by the wayside… but I hope not.

Anyone know more about it?

Thanks for posting.

Cliff Jennings said:

A couple of critiques, if you don’t mind.

I do

Couldn’t listen at the time , why are the what looks like GScale people on a N scale layout? Did they mention that ?

Pete Lassen said:

Couldn’t listen at the time , why are the what looks like GScale people on a N scale layout? Did they mention that ?

It looks like it is the architectural model of the proposed display.

Seems very intent on telling us how cool this is.

Could be very interesting…but model railroading might be too diverse to try to encapsulate in a single setting.

I’m guessing it will be located “somewhere”, but where that is was not at all obvious to me.

The whole website looks like a pitch deck to send to venture firms. I can’t imagine this being something anyone would invest in.

Rooster said:

Cliff Jennings said:

A couple of critiques, if you don’t mind.

I do

Then my mission is accomplished!

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bob McCown said:

The whole website looks like a pitch deck to send to venture firms. I can’t imagine this being something anyone would invest in.

Thanks Bob. I figured if people like you who live closer haven’t heard anything more of it, it’s probably a bust.

Cliff Jennings said:

Bob McCown said:

Thanks Bob. I figured if people like you who live closer haven’t heard anything more of it, it’s probably a bust.

Yea, I’ve never heard of this thing, and they are planning for it to be two hours west of me.

I saw something last year about this. I think it was in an O scale group. Seems to have fizzled out.