Large Scale Central

Auxiliary Steam Pump

On another topic I had asked questions regarding an auxiliary steam pump for use on logging engines and a fire car I am starting to work on. Based on the information from that thread and information gathered from others offline, I have been able to put together a 3D model that I think is a reasonable representation of the real thing. I was also able to discern that these style pumps would indeed pull a vacuum so it needed no positive suction head, therefore it is capable of pulling water from a creek, lake or other body of water that was lower in elevation than the pump (not sure how much suction head it can produce) for the purposes of filling tenders and other tanks and fighting fires. Let me know if you see anything that needs modification, its still a work in progress.

lower in elevation than the pump (not sure how much suction head it can produce)

At 30 ft the atmospheric pressure won’t push the water up the pipe, so it will be pumping a vacuum. 1 atmosphere = 30 ft of water.

Here is the 3D printed version of the auxiliary steam pump shown above. Still needs some cleanup and painting.

Dan

Is it all one casting or in kit form and what does it measure in size

Wayne, it is a single print and its 45 x 12 x 10 mm. The dimensions were merely best guesses from photos. I wish I could find an actual dimensioned drawing but this will serve my purposes.

Beautiful Dan. Don’t hesitate to send me the file

I think we talked about this in our emails but are you using the Sarya “fast” or “simple”? I started with the “simple” but it seemed brittle. After Googling Sarya said the “fast” is less brittle and I found that to be true. But the trade off seems to be fine detail. I haven’t decided which I like better.

Dan Hilyer said:

Here is the 3D printed version of the auxiliary steam pump shown above. Still needs some cleanup and painting.

Dan, there was a guy on Facebook asking where he could find a habd pump suitable for a water car front beam. I pointed him to a Trackside Details brass casting (pretty much the same as yours printed one,) but he might find it easier to chop/modify a plastic version. Can I point him to this?

Devon, I’m using Siraya Blu. It is most definitely not brittle (actually somewhat flexible) and the detail is great in my opinion. All the tie rods, exposed bolts and female connections on the pump above are threaded and they show up real well with the naked eye. The photo above does not do justice to the fine detail. I was concerned about the small diameter tie and piston rods breaking easily, but that is not the case with the Siraya Blu. Now, the Blu is about $10 a bottle more than their other basic resins. I’ve also used Siraya Tech Build for some other prints and it is a little too brittle for my liking on thin parts. All the NBW’s on my Mik project were printed with the Build resin. I had to thicken the washers slightly just to get them off the supports without breaking. I would highly recommend trying the Blu resin. its worth the extra $$.

Pete Thornton said:

Dan Hilyer said:

Dan, there was a guy on Facebook asking where he could find a habd pump suitable for a water car front beam. I pointed him to a Trackside Details brass casting (pretty much the same as yours printed one,) but he might find it easier to chop/modify a plastic version. Can I point him to this?

Sure, Pete.

Thanks Dan. I just broke into my last bottle of Resin and will need to order some more. I will give the Blu a try.

Devon;

I feel your pain…

I just broke into my last bottle of my favorite Single Malt Whisky…but;

I do remind myself that it is replicable, albeit…not this moment, but tomorrow or sometime within the next week…!!!

Fred Mills

Fred Mills. said:

Devon;

I feel your pain…

I just broke into my last bottle of my favorite Single Malt Whisky…but;

I do remind myself that it is replicable, albeit…not this moment, but tomorrow or sometime within the next week…!!!

Fred Mills

Fred, us good ol’ boys from down south never, ever, get to where we are in our last bottle, might be a whiskey blight … go ahead and laugh, but did you ever think there would be fanny ribbon blight (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

This the Worthington I did for G scale with demensions from the Locomotive Encylopedia . And the cross compound Air pump

And here is printed g scale and O scale in resin

That looks great nice job . And I am not saying that About my OWn I am saying that about the person that started this

Thanks for the kind words, John. I wish I had a set of dimensioned drawings to base the design on but for my purposes it turned out fine. You did a fantastic job on yours and the prints look almost real. Thanks for sharing your work with us.