Large Scale Central

LGB new F7s, are they true DCC?

Howdy,

This question is actually for my dad as he recently purchased an LGB F7 (Santa Fe 20581).

He wants to utilize the multiple sound and light functions that this loco comes with.

I looked at the description and it says it has an MFX/DCC decoder. So I am assuming it is DCC equipped, not just DCC ready. I have only done DCC in HO scale and not a whole lot of it. So not the most experienced. I know way more about Airwire and battery power.

But if this loco is DCC equipped, then all he needs is a DCC power source (with enough power as this is large scale and not HO) and a controller to activate the lights and sounds right?

Are these new LGB locos really DCC equipped, or do they require LGB MTS to run all the functions? I can’t find MTS transformers and controllers anywhere anymore…making me think LGB has changed to the DCC standard.

Do not go for MTS as it is very old technology (and out of production) and has only 14 speed steps unless you get MTS III and the Massoth navigator but still limited to 28 speed steps.

The new Marklin engine production units are DC, DCC, and MFX capable. Change CV 50 to 2 for dc and dcc only or 0 for DCC only. The 10 in CV50 gives you all 3 protocols.

On another note check the specs of the dcc systems very carefully as some are under 20 volts. Remember that a 24 volt power input can result in 20-22 volts to the track depending on the system. One exception is the Zimo system using a 30 volt DC power source and sends 24 volts to the track.

Dan Pierce said:

Do not go for MTS as it is very old technology (and out of production) and has only 14 speed steps unless you get MTS III and the Massoth navigator but still limited to 28 speed steps.

Why is being limited to 14 speed steps a problem when the real EMD F units were limited to only 8 speed notches on their actual throttle?

The MTS system also only has control of 8 function keys, newer systems go to 28 functions. Most are used for different sounds. Newer decoders have capabilities of volume control, servo control, ditch lights, city vs country running lights, panto graph control. etc. Even older MRC decoders had multiple horn/bell/whistle functions going up over 20 active functions.

On another note, if the MTS system fails, it is out of production so how does one get it fixed.

An update.

They are DCC ready out of the box. Using a Digitrax system (forget the name) he was able to get all of the F7 sounds working.

Last Sunday, I brought over some LGB track for him to test.

In the pic below are 3 generations enjoying trains. I was checking out the sounds in this pic.

My 1 year old son MacArthur loves Papa’s “choo choos”

Are they R1 curves?

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

You are looking old Matt !

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Hey “Roos;”

I think they must be R2s. R1s are a lot tighter (see below).

Have fun, David Meashey

Yep they are R2