and friend to all.

We miss ya buddy!

MIK’s Build Challenge 2021

Let the fun begin.

All aspects governing the Challenge

are to be applied under

Mik’s build challenge Rule #1

Rule #1: Remember this is a “Fun Build Amongst Friends”

The 2021 challenge is a tribute to LSC’s own Alan Bupp.

A time to overcome the doldrums of January and a long winter

to wait thru till we can get back to running trains.

The 2021 challenge shall be:

Build what ever you would like

using a common “Tin Can”

as a part of your build.

There is no size restrictions this year, just like last years challenge.

Any Size, Any Shape, Building, ROW thing,

Anything that would have a “TIN CAN” shape as part of it.

You will have 30 build days,

and a Max budget of $30.00

The Final Build can be any size or shape that you want, of anything that you would like to build. You may use anything or materials that you have on hand as of 1 Jan. 2021, without it costing against the $30.00 total.

TIME LINE:

Jan 1 thru Jan 8th, Sign up. You can start planning, drawing (napkins not included), gathering up your supplies, but NO CUTTING or BUILDING!

Before Jan 9th, Build Logs to be posted in Annual Build Challenge forum on LSC. Please post your Napkins drawings with your first posting.

Jan 9th, 0001hr, Actual construction begins.

Jan 9th thru Feb 7th, up-dates to your build log posted.

Feb 7th, 2400hr building ends (extended to local sunrise on the 8th if you must put in an all nighter to finish).

Feb 8th thru 14th, Posting pictures to the “Official Finished “ forum post [ I will start ] for judging. Also post your total “out of pocket” cost.

Feb 15th thru 21st, Voting on the “Official Vote “ forum post [ I will start ] for judging. Also Again this year, you may vote by e-mailing me your vote if you would like to keep it secret. [email protected]

Feb 22nd, Winners announced.

RESTRICTIONS:

#1 Actual building starts on JAN 9th and Ends on Feb 7th. That gives you 5 weekends to get it done.

#2 For the 2021 challenge, you must start a “NEW PROJECT”. This challenge excludes anything that you may have started previously to the Jan 1, 2021 starting date.

#3 You may use your “Tin Can” as a form, and cover it with other materials ( ie: wood strips to form a water tower) or such. Just show the process in your build logs. Your “Tin Can” does not have to be tin/metal, it can be Plastic ( ie: paint cans) or aluminum. You may cut it down or attach several together.

#4 Cutting up beverage cans to use the pieces as re-formed roofing material is not in the spirit of the “Tin Can” concept.

#5 $30 (US$ or your local equal) is the max you can spend on materials, paints, glue , etc. If you buy a bottle of ink and use two drops, don’t worry about it, if you use the whole bottle, count it. If you have to use 2 inches of a 36 inch piece of brass, because thats the shortest length they sell, figure the cost as 1/18th, you get the picture!

#6 Any item that you already have in your hands as of 1 Jan 2021, does not count towards the limit. Any “Free” item you can procure, is free. IF YOU PURCHASE SOMETHING JUST TO GET THAT SIZE OR SHAPE OF CAN(S)…… THAT PRICE DOES NOT COUNT AGAINST YOUR DOLLAR LIMIT. This is on the honor system guys. Refer to rule #1

#7 All contestants MUST post a “Build Log” in the Annual Build Challenge forum section of LSC. You have to declare your intentions of what you will attempt to build in the initial post. Post your napkin (drawings) with your first post. You can change it if you want to, but you must post it. PLEASE SHOW a photo of your starting can so everyone can see and follow along on how you’r using it. NO phantom builds to pop up on the last day! Progress posts ( preferably with pics ) need to be made often. Recommended Build Challenge forum Title “Dave’s 2021 challenge log”. Something along those lines so every one will know, and be able to follow along.

If you choose to participate in Mik’s Build Challenge 2021,

Post a reply to this thread.

The Prize pool for 2021:

Spirit of Mik Award: Photo Mug by Dave Taylor

Others as added:

For the historical record these

have been the Challenge categories:

2021: Tin Can.

2020: Chimney Kit.

2019: 10 year redo: “Build Whatever You Want”

2018: 2x4

2017: Quarry cut stones.

2016: Roof panels =800Sq Ft.

2015: 16’ Flat car, Whimsical theme.

2014: Door

2013: Gondola Kit, or a building.

2012: Finish something you already started.

2011: Build something! Up to 288 Sq In base.

2010: Unk. Category ( build whatever you want )

Happy New Year!

& Great Building!!

Oh I so like this challenge. Already know where its going. Count Devon in.

Brilliant, Dave! You done good again…and we don’t have to be dependent on the post office schedule, or lack thereof, to deliver under the current circumstances.

Way to go!

HUZZAH!!!

Team Mueller is in! Or Teams Mueller… The secessionists will meet tomorrow to decide.

Count me in, definitely got something planned already.

EngineNo.98 said:

Count me in, definitely got something planned already.

Glad you joined in Ben

It’s time to start kicking cans! I’m glad to start figuring out what I am doing. Thank Dave! I’m in!

Hah! I’ve done 3 of these already, two are still outside. So…chili can, soup can, cat food can or…?(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Yep, I’m in. Have no idea what to build, but I’ll figure it out.

Are pop cans considered tin cans?

Devon is trying to convince me to build something… I’m trying my best to resist.

Resistance is futile

@ Creig T. yup, Soda or any alum. can is good to go…

BTW: Reference item #4

Dave.T.

Dave Taylor;

Count me in! It is about time I built something again. Already know what I want to build, but it is in my head. Do I need to put it on a napkin?

Best wishes, David Meashey

Dave Taylor said:

@ Creig T. yup, Soda or any alum. can is good to go…

BTW: Reference item #4

Dave.T.

I had to remind Devon of rule #4. I’m still not 100% convinced, but I’m pondering an idea.

Would a soda can count, or does it need to be an official government issue “tin can?”

Bob McCown said:

Would a soda can count, or does it need to be an official government issue “tin can?”

Official G.I.?

Would that be Navy…,

Or Army?

The “Army” ones look to be more “qualified”, but I would recommend throwing OUT the contents…(unless you’re REALLY starving and just love the idea of Ham and lima beans )

Brings back memories, but reminds me why we go OUT to eat!

You mean something like this??? Been there, done that! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I call this “The Beer Chaser.”

I’m toying with the idea of trying to squeeze in a small build. Am wondering if a Tru-Color paint container counts under this clause:

Your “Tin Can” does not have to be tin/metal, it can be Plastic ( ie: paint cans) or aluminum.

This kind:

Not exactly a “tin can” but it is the right size for what I’m thinking about…

If not, I can still do my build and just not have it be an “official” Mik challenge build, no problem.

Cheers!

Bruce Chandler said:

Bob McCown said:

Official G.I.?

Would that be Navy…,

Or Army?

The “Army” ones look to be more “qualified”, but I would recommend throwing OUT the contents…(unless you’re REALLY starving and just love the idea of Ham and lima beans )

Brings back memories, but reminds me why we go OUT to eat!

A navy tin can is limited to about 9000tons, anything bigger is generally considered a cruiser (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

What about pill bottles? Are those considered “tin cans”?