Large Scale Central

LSC questionare results

[forgive me, but I just got to do it]

( using his very best Richard Dawson impersonation )

And The Survey Says?

Preamble:

The recent survey that I posted on LSC was to try and help me get a better idea of what the active people on the board do with their railroading time and energy. Trying to make the Mik challenges as desirable to as many as possible and reach out to a diverse grope of modelers. Prior to this survey I ( and the rest of you all ) could only guess as to what each of the others preferences were, and what we ran, and liked to run the most. I had an idea of what the survey would come up with, and wasn’t too far off, but there was a couple of hidden surprises in the final data.

I swear some of you get up in the mornings and set out to make my day just a little bit rougher around the edges ( remember guys, I had a heart attack just a couple of months ago). I thought that giving you 5 simple questions, with multiple choices on most of them would make it easier on me………well I guess I didn’t plan the questions out well, because on a lot of the answers I got multiple answers. Like time period: [A] Steam 1930’s Diesels 1950’s thru 1980’s. Now come on guys, that doesn’t fit into a neat little check box for an answer. So for you data freaks, I gave answers like that multiple data points on both TIME and MOTIVE.

On multiple answers to the question I entered multiple data points. And on other questions where I had no idea as to the answer, I gave no data or created an answer of [OTHER]. Some questions went un-answered. I excluded all answers to the “Other” scales ( HO, On30, N ) SO, there is variable data sets to extrapolate from. Without further ado here is what i learned.

1. What SCALE do you model in?

Large scale or “G” scale modeling is generally excepted as using 45mm gage track, and the scales become diverse from using it to represent different gages. I was ready to understand the large diversity from our group, what came as a surprise was that a lot of people run multiple scales on their layout. I had 60 data points (replies) to work from.

1:20.3 1:22.5 1:24 1:29 1:32 7/8

(21) (12) (11) (13) (2) (1)

35% 20% 18.3% 21.6% 3.3% 1.6%

1:20.3 Led the pack in total numbers, but the 1:22.5 and 1:24 totaled as to be the preferred. I believe this is because of the wide usage of inexpensive Bachmann products and the ease of using 1/2 scale to the inch for modeling structures and etc. The 1:29 and 1:32 scales were dominated by those that ran Diesels. This is mainly due to the prototype lack of narrow gage diesels out in the world. I believe that the 1:20.3 crowd is made up by the dominating number of those that “scratch build” for the fine scale world. The larger physical size scales ( 1:20.3 and 1:22.5/24) make up for 73.3% of all our modeling. The 7/8 scale guys ( as they already know) is a very fringe group, and primary because of the lack of “Ready to Run” equipment.

2. What TIME PERIOD?

No real surprises here, I was expecting the “steam era” to be the big factor and was correct. I consolidated some decades together as “era’s”.

I had 60 data points (replies) to work from.

< 1900 00-20’s 30’s 40’s 50-70’s 80’s -> Other

(7) (9) (14) (12) (9) (4) (5)

11.6% 15% 23.3% 20% 15% 6.6% 8.3%

The Golden age of steam 1900-1940’s dominated the time frame with 58.3% of our modeling, if you add in pre 1900 it jumped to 70%. We love our steam, and the wide availability of RTR ( Ready To Run) steam models pushes us into this era. The Diesel era of 50’s on comes into the correlation with the “scale” numbers at 21.6% of era’s. Again I believe its the available models in the RTR category that drives the time period we chose to model. There were a number of users that run both Steam and Diesels on their layouts representing two time periods.

3. What MOTIVE POWER do you run?

Again no real surprises here. The number of Steam and Diesel users that ran both types pushed the responses to 64 data points (replies) to work from.

Steam Power Diesel Power Elect. (overhead cat.)

(37) (24) (3)

57.8% 37.5% 4.6%

The numbers confirms the “Steam Era” in the Time question at 57.8%, and parallels the Diesel data at 37.5% being higher from people running both on their RR. Most responses that were a “Both” were along the lines of I run Steam and have a Diesel too.

4. Where is your pike?

This came as no surprise also. Do the the overwhelming preference for the larger size scales, it almost mandates that we put the Garden in “Garden Railroading” The “Both” category was kept as a separate data set and not counted into either Outdoor or Indoor categories. We had only 44 data points (replies).

Outdoor Indoor Both None

(29) (7) (6) (2)

65.9% 15.9% 13.6% 4.5%

Adding in the responses for the “Both” to the data sets gets us to 50 total responses and (35) for Outdoor at a 70%, (13) for Indoor at a 26% and 4% for None. There was no differentiation as too “On the Ground” or “Raised” thou several replied to the type of roadbed used.

5. Do you SCRATCH-BUILD?

Big surprise here for me…. I added the category here for “Kit-bash” after several responded that way. LSC’ers are a really creative group.

I had 51 replies here.

YES NO KIT-BASH

(41) (6) (4)

80.3% 11.7% 7.8%

If we add the “Kit-bashers” into the Scratch Builders column ( I think that they really do fit there ) we have an even larger number of creators, (45) @ 88.2%.

Some totals don’t add up due to rounding and not all figures parallel due to multiple answers to the same question, and some questions were skipped (no response) by respondents.

My big take away is the number of scratch builders there are within our LSC community. 88.2% WOW!! I am a little surprised that the Mik Challenges don’t reflect that level of builders. The diversity of scales, time era’s and motive power combinations makes us a “All Over The Place” group, that no pigeon hole would accommodate.

That’ll learn ya Dave to try to analyze us!

My big take away is the number of scratch builders there are within our LSC community. 88.2% WOW!! I am a little surprised that the Mik Challenges don’t reflect that level of builders.

that lies in the nature of the challenges. specially the timelimit.

some/many of us are not so young anymore. why should they participate, knowing, that they never would be able to finish in time?

some of us live outside the US. so, if they have to wait two or three weeks before the arriving of the “center parts” around which to build, how could they finish in time?

personally, i do not plan to participate again, before i finished my 2010 challenge build.

Korm Kormsen said:

My big take away is the number of scratch builders there are within our LSC community. 88.2% WOW!! I am a little surprised that the Mik Challenges don’t reflect that level of builders.

I might play again but I can never come up with anything that I would want or like to have on my “Pike”. I “love” seeing the builds myself and I thank you again for the time you put into this Dave!

“My big take away is the number of scratch builders there are within our LSC community. 88.2% WOW!! I am a little surprised that the Mik Challenges don’t reflect that level of builders.”

Dave

I think that participation in the Challange builds may be based more on if you have the time and energy to dedicate to the time line of the Challange than anything else.

Myself I always seem to have 2-3 other projects going on at any one time and may not want to drop or delay them to participate. Then there is the fact that some of the build topics just don’t ring everybodys chimes but do appeal to some for various reasons.

Nothing against your efforts at all, no one under any circumstances would be able to pick a build topic that will appeal to 88.2% of the responders, probably lucky to get as many as we do.

As for this year, I’m waiting to see what you come up with. As ususal I have projects in the works so I hope the subject doesn’t appeal to me, but then I hope it does because it is always fun to be involved.

Rick

Rick Marty said:

“My big take away is the number of scratch builders there are within our LSC community. 88.2% WOW!! I am a little surprised that the Mik Challenges don’t reflect that level of builders.”

Dave

I think that participation in the Challange builds may be based more on if you have the time and energy to dedicate to the time line of the Challange than anything else.

Myself I always seem to have 2-3 other projects going on at any one time and may not want to drop or delay them to participate. Then there is the fact that some of the build topics just don’t ring everybodys chimes but do appeal to some for various reasons.

Wow… I thought retired guys had all the time in the world ?

I personally prefer Nathan 5 chimes myself!

Rooster said:

Why are you holding out on us???

Dave,

Thanks for the data analysis! It makes me wonder of the market drives what we choose to try and model or if what we choose to model drives the market!

Closer to home, I think the previous posters said it all. With virtually all of us scratchbuilding or kitbashing at some level, participation comes down to chosen theme, available time, and materials at hand. You can only control for the first one, and I appreciate the effort to choose a theme that will appeal broadly across the community.

Regardless of the number of participants, you created and continue to run a contest that probably teaches me more about railroad modeling in the month than I do all year. The techniques, talent, and RR history in the threads are amazing. The fact they are presented over a finite time period as we struggle to overcome a single shared design “problem” really sheds light on the many possible methods that exist to overcome modeling challenges in a way that is not possible without a controlled theme and timeline.

Thanks again! Now I better buy some craftsticks before they count against our budget!

Eric

Edited to make it look like grammar I used.

Rooster said:

Rick Marty said:

Dave

Dave,

When you are working for a living you have weekends off, when you are retired you don’t have that option, every day is a work day.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Dave,

thank you for the compiled results. one thing to consider in the #s of scratch builders would be a sub category of what are you scratch building? I know for me it is very prototype specific. and as such these build challenge’s have not pushed me in the direction to participate because of that desire to have prototypical results. that said hopefully enough continue to do these builds and promote this hobby in this manner, it is just not for me. maybe I will be surprised with this years challenge.

Al P.

Dave , does anyone really want to compete against Ray Dunakin in a building challenge??? Mike Dortsch in a rolling stock, or Shane Stewart in a locomotive challenge???
With the 3D printers, laser cutters becoming more wide spread, the level of awesome is great to watch for the challenge, and I look forward to it every year. My odd work schedule makes it difficult to participate some times, and like some others have said my needing or wanting what the particular challenge build may be is another factor in participation.
Looking forward the the challenge this year.

I pretty much agree with the results, I was a little suspired that Fn3 was so popular, but with NG and Lite railways being what many enjoy building I can see why Fn3 is growing. Also I consider Scratch Building and Kit Bashing to be very close to each other, as for myself I mix and match all the time to get the results I want. I think the scale On30 has helped with Fn3 becoming so popular, they are what I would call a Modelers Scale. I like the idea of picking up an old LGB switcher on eBay for $100-$150 and turning it into the junkiest dirty old engine pulling worn out rolling stock, just hours of fun just building it is most of the fun. Great work on the survey, it’s always nice to see where the hobby is headed and what operators like and run on their layouts.

trainman

Dave,

I took a look at your survey when you first asked for feedback and thought that I was kind of an “outsider”.

First of all, I model in 1-1/2 and 2-1/2 inch scales! I’m a scratch builder BECAUSE you pretty much have to be in these scales.

Secondly, I have to literally make my own parts because these don’t exist from a vendor or just not available. I have to use machine experience (in my garage machine shop) to do this. I have posted a few “build” threads here on LSC over the years thinking it MIGHT interest some folks in how we do model railroading in these much larger scales.

Third, time management in ANY modeling work (even in retirement :slight_smile: ) is crucial. Right now, I have three or four different projects going on at the same time. But with health issues at 77, having a tendency to disrupt “hobby work”, Life gets in the way.

Like Rick Marty commented…When you are working (a real job), weekends are when you do some hobbies. But there is still home maintenance and other “things” that get in the way of THAT time. When you are retired, sometimes you feel that you are working more, not less. You wonder how were you able to get anything done when you were working full time :).

I find it VERY interesting that so many folks ARE scratch-building, as I thought that fewer and fewer folks were! Personally, it does my heart good to see so many even acknowledge this art! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Maybe it’s really due to folks like Mik that inspired others to first attempt it? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Rooster said:

Until you retire, you actually believe that. After you retire, you can’t believe you had time to do ANYTHING. Though at least NOW I finally have time for the paint to actually dry BEFORE I move on to the next step.

Bruce Chandler said:

Rooster said:

Until you retire, you actually believe that. After you retire, you can’t believe you had time to do ANYTHING. Though at least NOW I finally have time for the paint to actually dry BEFORE I move on to the next step.

Almost exactly what my older brother said when I told him that I was having trouble getting winter prep chores done up only working 15 hrs/week. He said “once you retire full time, you’ll wonder where you found the time to work!” I’ve exhausted my unemployment and my boss is willing to give me more hours, but I’m not sure I can even do 32 hours on my feet anymore :frowning:

Jon Radder said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Rooster said:

Almost exactly what my older brother said when I told him that I was having trouble getting winter prep chores done up only working 15 hrs/week. He said “once you retire full time, you’ll wonder where you found the time to work!” I’ve exhausted my unemployment and my boss is willing to give me more hours, but I’m not sure I can even do 32 hours on my feet anymore :frowning:

This is NOT what I want to hear. I have 235 work days left and was looking forward to getting EVERYTHING done!

Dan Gilchrist said:

Jon Radder said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Rooster said:

This is NOT what I want to hear. I have 235 work days left and was looking forward to getting EVERYTHING done!

Don’t worry Dan - we are NOT complaining!!!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I have found that “putzing” can be a full time job…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

At this point I can’t remember for certain if I did the survey.

Am glad to see “Elect. (overhead cat.)” and will add that it includes me, even if it is only 1 straight track on an 8ft long shelf. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Also have steam and diesel outline models, most being steam.

Yes, 1/24 is a very handy modeling scale! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Call it downright uplifting to see the number of scratchers and bashers here. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)