Large Scale Central

Forum Instructions Anywhere?

I have hunted high and low for “instructions for beginners” that explain how to use these forums. I don’t seem to have trouble creating a new topic or replying to an existing one, but when it comes to posting photos it has really baffled me. I find articles scattered here and there in different forums from others having similar problems with photos, and in each case someone has replied, but never with the same standard set of steps to follow. Some suggest starting with photos in Albums, others start with photos in Freight Sheds etc. I tried creating a Freight Shed and got no where but then decided it might be a browser issue. I was using Safari on my Mac. So I switched to Firefox on my Mac and then creating a Freight Shed appeared to work. I then uploaded some photos there and that seemed to work also. But when I try to view them I get a message “This document is not supported to be previewed.” And no hint what I would do to remedy that. And if I try to find those later they do not show up under Freight Sheds. Perhaps again a browser issue? (or more likely a dumb user error!).

I am on a number of other forums and this stuff is easy. I find LSC really confusing. Not a criticism of the people who put the effort into keeping it running. The info here is fantastic and very helpful and interesting. But am I the only one who could benefit from a complete user guide posted somewhere easy to find? (Or is it already there, and I have just not spotted it yet?)

Dave

It takes a while to figure out how to do pictures. BD , the sites moderator/?owner/ fire putter outer is working on a new host for the site with better easier picture posting capabilities. Since I have no idea on Mac and Firefox , I will let others help you with posting, Joe Zullo and John Passarro help you with posting photos.

So I switched to Firefox on my Mac and then creating a Freight Shed appeared to work. I then uploaded some photos there and that seemed to work also. But when I try to view them I get a message “This document is not supported to be previewed.”

Someone else had exactly that problem recently. It is something to do with your Mac setting the wrong metadata on a JPEG, I think. Ah, here it is:

https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30985/pics/view/post_id/410449

Can’t help with the instructions or with how to make it work with a Mac! But check John’s thread and see if that helps. The thread in the Website forum:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/20241/picture-posting-help-for-rick-marty

seems to cover most of it, except for when Apple decides it knows better than you.

What I find odd is that at the end of some of my post I sometimes get to add pics option and sometimes I don’t, that is the ADD PHOTO option is there and sometimes its not. I now know to look before I spend the time typing a post and wanting to add pics, if the option is there I continue with the post and if not I back out of the post and start over, anyone else had this problem.

trainman

John Lenheiser said:

What I find odd is that at the end of some of my post I sometimes get to add pics option and sometimes I don’t, that is the ADD PHOTO option is there and sometimes its not. I now know to look before I spend the time typing a post and wanting to add pics, if the option is there I continue with the post and if not I back out of the post and start over, anyone else had this problem.

trainman

John,

The ability to add a picture exists in every reply /post. You click on the icon that looks like mountains with the sun (a picture) on the top row of icons of the post box to bring up the insert image box. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Pete Lassen said:

It takes a while to figure out how to do pictures. BD , the sites moderator/?owner/ fire putter outer is working on a new host for the site with better easier picture posting capabilities. Since I have no idea on Mac and Firefox , I will let others help you with posting, Joe Zullo and John Passarro help you with posting photos.

Thanks for this. I guess it doesn’t make sense to spend a lot of time fighting this, if the system is going to change in the near future. From another group I belong to that has a forum I use, I know it is a lot of work for the moderator to stay on top of this stuff, so I appreciate what he does and hope for an easy transition.

Dave

Joe Zullo said:

John Lenheiser said:

trainman

John,

The ability to add a picture exists in every reply /post. You click on the icon that looks like mountains with the sun (a picture) on the top row of icons of the post box to bring up the insert image box. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Joe, I think John is referring to the thumbnail attachment option.

John - the “Attach Photo” link does not show up on the Quick Reply at the bottom of every thread. It only shows up on every other kind of edit or reply - like this one, where I ‘quoted’ a post. Very curious, but that’s the scoop.

If you plan to add a photo as an attachment and thumbnail, use the Quick Reply and then, after posting it, click the Edit and you’ll get offered the Attach Photo option.

This is a test after reading the tips above:

Wow it works now. Thank you all who posted here for the guidance

Dave

I like that engine house! I’m in the process of building one myself (in 7/8 scale), only a single track with the attached machine shed.

I just noticed this in the freight shed…

Notice

Please note that as of 11/1/2020, LSC is no longer supporting or backing up Freight Sheds, and suggests you use one of the many photo sharing sites instead.

Does this mean BD is doing away with the train sheds all together?

How can we bulk download all our pictures?

@Joe - See the Freight Sheds topic. Bob answered your questions. Not going away, but not being backed up and may not transfer to new software.

John Bouck said:

I like that engine house! I’m in the process of building one myself (in 7/8 scale), only a single track with the attached machine shed.

Thanks John, It is from a Ted Brewer plan, of course.

https://www.brewerplans.com/index.htm

Dave