Large Scale Central

Locomotive Carrying Case Box Cradle

Let me see y’all’s locomotive carrying case, storage case, Cradle or box!.. Whatever you call yours. I’m trying to find ideas of what to build for a couple of my live steamers. Would like light weight but strong. I saw one a long time ago I liked… It was for a K-27 and was painted black with the RGS Logo on the side of the box… but I can’t seem to find pictures of it.

Thanks

Jason

This recent post had some replies: [link]

This thread has 3 pages of useful pictures.

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/23040/locomotive-carrier-recommendation-please?page=1

Pete which one did you end up going with? Or you still using the one from the home improvement store?

Thanks

Jason

Jason;

All of my steamers are fairly small and do not have tenders. I simply use toolboxes with added padding. Not very elegant, but it works for me.

Regards, David Meashey

Morning Dave,

I do the same thing. Some of the tool boxes sold under the Stanley or DeWalt name are extremely strong and can be used as a step or a seat. This has allowed me to not carry an extra step, sometimes. I like to use the black or charcoal grey packing foam to protect the units inside and the 1/4 inch blue foam for a bottom pan inside the tool box. For some of the units you can even leave the small tool tray in the tool box. One rule for me, is that the handle has to fold flat into the lid, so that the tool boxes can be stacked. Jan’s “President Special” is even equipped with a lift out tray that allows her steam engine to be driven off the cradle.

One of the reasons I like the longer, roll out wood boxes is that they allow you to avoid having to plug and unplug the engine/tender connectors which I found to create issues with connection durability.

Doc

Jason V. said:

Pete which one did you end up going with? Or you still using the one from the home improvement store?

Thanks

Jason

I have used so many solutions it is tough to recall which! My EBT #14 continued to live in the steel cradle that Accucraft delivered it in. I put rubber feet on it so it can be dropped over a track, and there are 2 pieces of wood at either end to stop it rolling out, along with a couple of bits of padding.

Don Watson said:

One of the reasons I like the longer, roll out wood boxes is that they allow you to avoid having to plug and unplug the engine/tender connectors which I found to create issues with connection durability.

Doc

Absolutely agree. But then you are dealing with a USAT Hudson, or a similar sized Accucraft or Aster locomotive, they can weigh 25 - 35 lbs. I always worried about dropping them if my arm fell off. So most of my carriers are 2 pieces and I get to reconnect everything when they are on the track.

I have made carriers from all sorts of materials, but I don’t bother with cosmetics. These were made from odd bits of wood I had lying around. The RH one with the white uprights is actually held together with 12" threaded rod inside thin plastic plumbing tube. Handles are closet rods cut to shape and underslung to provide strength. On the LH side the end block has a coupler mounted on it which the tender clicks in to. The ramps on the other end are held up with cords. There are fold-down wooden sides with foam on them between the uprights - you can just see the fishing line holding the cotter pins (so they don’t get lost when removed from the holes in the side panels.)

I do have one other type to show you. This is a toolbox made locally be a company that makes plywood ‘kits’ for kayaks, skiffs, etc. It is held together by pins of plywood (e.g. end of the handles) and the ends fall off if you remove them. At the moment it works for my Mason, but it is too low (the handle hits the stack) and too wide - we don’t need that extra tool caddy strip. I’m working on the company to get them to produce a simpler, taller version but they are swamped with pandemic business.

Pete, I agree with you as to the limit in size to a single carrying case. Much to heavy for us old guys. I like your simplicity of designs. My carriers tend to be a little fancier due to my appreciation of quality woodworking.

Doc

My Hudson(USA) and tote weigh in @ 50+

Velcro straps help hold it in. With the end laid under the front it raises it enough to drive it on/off.

The handle is a wooden dowel with some pipe insulation added.

due to my appreciation of quality woodworking.

Is that a suggestion that mine isn’t quality? How dare you Sir. See you at dawn on the Green!

At that length and weight, I’d be very worried what happens when it breaks. I would pick it up at the ends (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

I appreciate the ideas all!

Jason

I definitely like the roll in/out style

Jason

Pete Thornton said:

At that length and weight, I’d be very worried what happens when it breaks. I would pick it up at the ends (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

Too heavy and awkward to do that… it is a balance thing to … It works as is until then …