Large Scale Central

Moved indoors

Since I was last on the listI took down the big layout and moved to a small switching layout indoors, will post pictures it the Bobcat Fire misses us. Mandatory evacuation about six miles away!

If anyone can delete a couple extras frommy posting feel free. I don’t know why we got three!

If anyone can delete a couple extras frommy posting feel free. I don’t know why we got three!

Methinks all that smoke has given you the hiccups (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)Stay safe!

Doug Arnold said:

I cannot Doug but it is nice to see you posting !

Don’t worry about the adjective as it’s only morphologically by one of several suffixes!

Didn’t you recently earn a botany degree??

“frommypostingfeel’free”

Is that an annual or perennial ?

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I actually go back to school and became a Master Gardener. Maybe you won”t hear a death

knell from my garden as often!

Doug Arnold said:

Since I was last on the listI took down the big layout and moved to a small switching layout indoors, will post pictures it the Bobcat Fire misses us. Mandatory evacuation about six miles away!

Good to hear from you Doug. My son evacuated from the cabin in Wrightwood. They are still under an “Evacuation Warning”. He had to collect all of their belongings and three cats. Yesterday morning, he called and said he was ready to bail because only one road was open to get out of Wrightwood. He could not find his third cat in the home, so he got out with two and his stuff. His wife is out of town in Colorado to care for a sick relative, so it was all on him to get it done. He drove to our home here in Burbank in the afternoon, unloaded his truck and turned right around to rush back to Wrightwood before the Evacuation changed to an “Order” and he wouldn’t be able to get back in. He was able to find the third cat finally, loaded her cage in the truck and quickly got out of there. Every one is now safe here, but watching the news to hear how the Bobcat Fire is progressing. I do know that the 9 inch gauge, 1/4 scale Mesa Grande RR was heavily damaged in Pinon Hills above you. All of their huge wood trestles were completely destroyed and the tunnels were damaged. The steam locomotives were removed from the property in anticipation of the fire a couple of days ago and the switcher diesels were saved by running them INSIDE the tunnels for protection just before the fire completely blew through the property. According to the five or six people who stayed in the area with tractors to make small firebreaks. Facebook has about 75 photos they posted showing the extensive damage to the railroad. The four very large trestles are going to be very expensive to replace. Most of these were at least 30 feet high and traversed small canyons a couple of hundred feet wide. Lots of puddles of aluminum rail on the ground exactly where the ROW ran through the desert. Very sad to see. The railroad was first built back in the early fifties and has been added to over the past 70 years!

Gary,

Sorry to hear that the cabin is endangered once again, hopefully all will be well. Had nieces and nephews endangered here in the Alameda fire , although 2800 homes were destroyed they were fortunate to be one of the few that were spared.

Rick Marty said:

Gary,

Sorry to hear that the cabin is endangered once again, hopefully all will be well. Had nieces and nephews endangered here in the Alameda fire , although 2800 homes were destroyed they were fortunate to be one of the few that were spared.

Thanks Rick. Yeah this one is a bear of a fire and it’s in old growth, sixty years since the last fire. It’s tough on the kids (Thomas and Jenna) because we just finalized the paperwork on giving the place to them. Like I said before, the firefighters are making a big stand starting this afternoon to save Wrightwood. They are even flying helicopters for water drops tonight and in the early morning hours. Weather is cooperating a little with the humidity going up to around 20% tonight and a High pressure system is causing the wind to blow from the ocean out into the desert. This will help. We can’t say enough about these fire crews and the job they are doing.

Gary and Doug,

Sorry to hear of you having to go through this anxiety. Even if you come out without damage, the emotional trauma has got to be difficult. Wishing you guys and everyone else invovled in this craziness, the best.

As of this morning’s fire update, the Bobcat Fire is now larger than the city of Denver, CO. Also the largest in Los Angeles County history.

Gary Armitstead said:

He had to collect all of their belongings and three cats. Yesterday morning, he called and said he was ready to bail because only one road was open to get out of Wrightwood. He could not find his third cat in the home, so he got out with two and his stuff. His wife is out of town in Colorado to care for a sick relative, so it was all on him to get it done. He drove to our home here in Burbank in the afternoon, unloaded his truck and turned right around to rush back to Wrightwood before the Evacuation changed to an “Order” and he wouldn’t be able to get back in. He was able to find the third cat finally, loaded her cage in the truck and quickly got out of there.

Yay! So glad all 3 critters were able to get evacuated.

I talked to Doug this afternoon and he said that they had lifted the Evacuation Warning for his area in Pinon Hills (about 4 miles or so north of our cabin in Wrightwood. Our kids are back in their home in Wrightwood tonight (with the three cats) and waiting out the fire or until they get an Evacuation Order. They feel better being there to safeguard their place from looters or break-ins. AND looting DOES happen often during these wildfires here! Scumbag people…

Hey Gary,

That’s gotta be good news, maybe the fire is setting down or moving away.

I’m sure this is stressful and scary shite, glad to hear the situation is getting better. Hope you guys get in to a rainy pattern.

Rick Marty said:

Hey Gary,

That’s gotta be good news, maybe the fire is setting down or moving away.

Its moving WNW towards Sierra Hwy 2 that runs between La Canada and Palmdale. It’s been burning behind Mt. Wilson observatory. There hasn’t been any strong winds to push it so it’s mostly terrain driven currently but the mountains are steep and this area didn’t burn during the Station Fire a few years ago. Once it hits the Station Fire scare area it should slow down substantially.

That calming weather has helped us a lot! Fire guys have even dropped our possible evacuation and so peace has returned. Containment has jumped to about 34 percent! A happy day!