Large Scale Central

ISO FREE USED TRACK

I am attempting to construct a small switching layout in a spare bedroom. I am in need of track, and short on funds. If anyone has any used track they would be willing to donate, please let me know. I am especially looking for LGB R1 switches, a 1300 diamond crossing and rail clamps, but I will consider anything.

Thank you for your help.

I hope you can find someone who will donate, I’ve been purchasing both the 22.5 and 30.0 degree switches on eBay when I can find then at a reasonable prices. From what I have been able to purchase the going price for nice used switches is around $30-$40 for the 30.0 degree and $60-$70 for the 22.5 degree switches. Used track is around $4-$5 per foot, but the LGB #1000 and #1100 are still the best buy used. I have figured the shipping charges into those prices, but then again you have to watch what you are paying for shipping, for some sellers it’s part of there profit structure. I’ve personally never found someone getting rid of their LGB layout, but as I feel we all get older and working on the garden layout can become a burden at times. some are passing their railroad on to other friends, or fellow garden railroaders, rather then deal with selling it. I can tell you that if you have an HO layout it’s hard to get ride of, I’ve had several friends offer me there’s, but it’s just something else I don’t need. Good Luck, maybe your post will get you some G scale materials you can use.

trainman

Everyone would like something for nothing.

I suppose you would also like a donator to pay the shipping for you too?

No Mr. Zullo,

I am NOT expecting for the donor to pay shipping. My request is not unreasonable, as I have had track donated to me in the past.

Why don’t you just ask for cash? Those “Go Fund Me” scams seem to work. That way YOU wouldn’t have to pay for shipping.

Joe why must it be a chastisement for someone not to think your way ?

If you recall Bruce Chandler did an open thread here to give away his entire railroad, with the simple caveat that you must come to pick up what you wanted. Joe lives within 60 miles of Bruce but I believe the track was already spoken for. Not unreasonable to ask for what you need and believe it or not others have heard of unknown posters needing certain items and sent those pieces off. There were no expectations of reimbursement nor were there any complaints of the generosity of the gift, no matter how small.

Maybe you can’t afford to help a fellow out and you are too proud to ask for a helping hand. That is still not a reason to berate someone else for not seeing it your way IMHO.

I do not have any track to spare at this point to help Joe out but I also don’t see the need to decry that info to the world. If you can’t assist the poster just say Sorry I can’t help you or just pass over the request and allow the poster to retain a positive outlook.

JMOYMMV (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Joe Zullo said:

Why don’t you just ask for cash? Those “Go Fund Me” scams seem to work. That way YOU wouldn’t have to pay for shipping.

And why are you being a Richard?

WOW!!

Quack.

/me takes some notes.

Back to the topic at hand, anyone help him out?

Don’t think so yet BD.

Hey Joe,

I recently found a guy up here with a small train shop who sold me Aristo brass 3’ lengths for $5 each. I bought all he had of those but I did see curves and small radius switches. Not free but cheap. I’ll see if he ships then PM you the info.

-Dan

Bob McCown said:

Quack.

/me takes some notes.

Back to the topic at hand, anyone help him out?

Joe, check your messages.

Mr. Zullo (so not to mix up the Joes), Mr. Loll is one of the regular operators and much-needed strong back who works to keep my dad’s Woodland Railway up and running. In terms of sweat equity, he’s earned his keep and then some in my eyes.

Most of us who have been in this hobby any length of time have acquired bits and pieces that are lying surplus. What better way to encourage younger folks to get–and stay–involved in the hobby than to share with them? Goodness knows I’ve benefited from the graciousness of others many times over the years. Alas for Joe in this case, I’ve long since depleted my supply of surplus code 332, else I would gladly donate to the cause.

Later,

K

Joe L, pm sent.

I owed Joe L from a deal we struck on his railtruck, and I found a whole bunch of Lionel track (usable indoors) going for $5+shipping. So it is on its way to the bedroom switching layout.

Kevin Strong said:

… Mr. Loll is one of the regular operators and much-needed strong back who works to keep my dad’s Woodland Railway up and running. In terms of sweat equity, he’s earned his keep and then some in my eyes.

…Goodness knows I’ve benefited from the graciousness of others many times over the years…

Whoa, everbody hold your horses.

I’m sorry I’m late to the party here, but if Loll is endorsed by Kevin, especially if he’s helping out Kevin’s mom with the layout, he’s good as gold in my book. Joe, I have all kinds of LGB straights and switches in my garage just waiting for a sale on Ebay that will never happen (~!!). I’ll send you a message with my telephone number and you just call me and we’ll go over what you need and you can have whatever I have on hand.

And don’t worry about shipping; I got it. I’m right there with Kevin, I’ve benefitted from the generosity of others over the years. I’m just sorry I didn’t look into this sooner.

edit: actually I have some curved LGB track sections too!

Just a shout out to Joe Loll, who appears (with Kevin and Ruth Strong & team) on page 35 of the latest (and last (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)) GR.

Atta boy Joe! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)