Large Scale Central

Bachmann 4-4-0 "Rito Alto' for sale $125

SOLD

I rescued this 4-4-0 a few years ago. It had multiple problems - missing smokebox door, valve chest covers, whistle/safety valve, etc. But it did run!

I fixed the various problems, including buying flagstaffs from B’mann Parts, making new valve chest covers, and attaching the whistle and safeties to a piece of dowel that drops in to the hole in the steam dome (easily removed for transport!) The smokebox door got a tie-tack from the EBT store (it’s not always crooked.) This pic also shows the steam dome attachments.

And the valve chests and oil pipes:

Not much sign of wear on the wheels.

Then one day it ground to a halt - well, actually it slowed to a halt with the motor still running. We all know how the gears fail in these, so I got a new gear+axle and opened it up. Turned out to be the worm spur. There’s a whole thread elsewhere on LSC about my fun getting a new one made by Jerry Yeramian.

The operation was a success.

Anyway, this 4-4-0 works nicely and is track powered. I already converted my 2-6-0 to battery, and I don’t need 2 of these types, so it is for sale. I’ve spent about $125 on it, so that’s the price. Shipping to the mid-west is about $30, maybe more to CA.

Wow, that sure is a nice loco at great price, but I have way too many locos already.

Are you gonna cut it up?

Opps sorry it’s forsale …sell it to my local museum and I’ll cut it up for them

Pete,

Nice rescue job and gear pr3eblem fix. I wish I needed another one, but I am sure someone will want this little Gem soon.

George

Pete: Throw in a pop cycle stick and I will take it off your hands. Not that I really need another 4-4-0, but I do like that it is lettered for the Denver and Rio Grande… Send me an email at [email protected] so we can work out the payment and shipping details.

Dan Stuettgen

Colorado & Rio Grande Southern

Not that I really need another 4-4-0

Everyone needs another 4-4-0! Email sent.

Pete: Time got away from me and I should have sent this out last week. Got the 4-4-0, Awesome engine. The stack came off in shipping, but I just snapped it back in place, so no biggie. I didnt realize the tender had a coal load and not a wood one, which is great as my other 4-4-0 has a wood load and now I have one of each. Thanks for having this for sale, it will make a great stable mate for the other 4-4-0 and 2-6-0.

Dan Stuettgen

Colorado & Rio Grande Southern

http://www.danstrains.net