Large Scale Central

Piko Switch Machine

This February I installed two Piko switch machines, controlled by the Crest Switch Machine receiver. All worked well until after our spring rains; Switch machines responded only intermittently or failed to throw the points completely, so I reverted to manual control. After opening one of the offending machines, I found extensive corrosion in the mechanism that prevented the switch drive motor from completing full travel. Now keep in mind - these machines were installed on an elevated layout with excellent drainage and were only outdoors for a little more than 4 months. Any suggestions for a reliable outdoor switch machine?

Bachmann Switch Stand

Possibly a simple “Choke Cable” would suffice…But then, you would have to use your hand to throw it, and not be able to depend on your high tech electronic device to do that labour for you.

Fred Mills

Joe Zullo: That is what I’m using now. A little difficult to operate from the porch.

Fred Mills: see above.

Anybody have any experience with Train-Li’s Masterline Switch Drive WA2?

I use the LGB “switch machines” outside in my garden and some have been operating for over 20 years without fail. Yes, if they sit in water they will rust inside, but otherwise they stay pretty well. I do cover my turnouts/switch machines with inverted flower pot bases when not in use to keep water, dirt, and UV out.