Large Scale Central

cleaning loco not fully working with DCC

I have a yellow 20670 cleaning loco with the 55021 decoder directly (push in) installed. When I run it with DCC, the engine moves forward and back no problem. But the cleaning motor does not come on no matter which function button I press. All lamps work using DC, but the flashing lights aren’t working with DCC. My guess is because the cleaning motor isn’t running.

The loco works with my analog power pack but forward movement is real slow. The throttle pack only puts out 2.5A which I am told is lower than optimal for this engine.

I have tried resetting the decoder but still no luck. The switch in the cab is in position 2.

I know I could put a more expensive decoder in there but I don’t need anything special with this engine.

Any ideas?

Sean has the same loco I believe …perhaps he knows the answer ?

I do but with out all them bells and whistles … Calling Dan Pierce … hopefully he’s chime in …

55021 decoder after a reset (CV 55 to 55) will set the decoder to 14 speed steps and address 3.

Change cv29 to 6 for 28/128 speed steps and try setting your system to 28 steps as some 55021’s only did 14 or 28 steps.

I use long addressing on mine CV29 to 38, and set engine number to 2070… cv 17 to 200 and cv 18 to 19.

Note when speed steps between control systems and engines do not match, it is always the lights not working/flaky.

Dan,

I did as you suggested and no change.

I tried my other 55021 again but using your notes. This one works so it must be the decoder.

Thank you.

Is there a way to control the cleaning motor speed in DCC using CVs and voltage adjustments?

The cleaning motor always runs at full track voltage. I once found a 20670 without any boards and installed a zimo decoder for DCC operation. What I found is now I can clean in both directions and by running the cleaning motor at full track voltage via a relay and diode bridge it cleans extremely well with the engine running slow.

My other/original TCL (Track Cleaning Loco) is DC only and does not clean any way near as well as my DCC version.

Thanks. This one cleans very well now that it is getting the full power. The engine motor just wasn’t getting enough power with my old DC transformer. Forward speed was so slow I often had to give it a nudge, particularly on slopes and turnouts.