Large Scale Central

Looking for a large-format 3D printer

Hey there,

I noticed that some of you are well-seasoned 3D printing enthusiasts. I currently own a Creality Ender-3 and use to build up my models. However, I’ve recently came out with the idea of buying a larger device for printing bigger parts as well as multiple batches of a same item in a single printing session.

In this article I found some interesting printers: the Modix Big 60, the GMax 2 and the Wanhao D9 (really cheap!). Do you have any experience with one of those brands? I wouldn’t throw my money away buying a poor-quality printer.

Thanks for your advices.

Joel,

my experience from a couple of years ago on a FDM printer that had a work space of approx. 12 x 12 inches was that to print a part that would fit on the large build platform was problematic because of the cooling of the extruded plastic did make it difficult to get good prints that stuck together. multiple smaller parts were fine. my experience was with ABS only. I was able to return the unit, and more recently Purchased a Formlabs Form 2 about two years ago. Formlabs support for this unit after the initial warranty is spectacular. I had a problem this week and a replacement assembly is on its way.

Al P.

Joel Sheppard said:

Hey there,

I noticed that some of you are well-seasoned 3D printing enthusiasts. I currently own a Creality Ender-3 and use to build up my models. However, I’ve recently came out with the idea of buying a larger device for printing bigger parts as well as multiple batches of a same item in a single printing session.

In this article I found some interesting printers: the Modix Big 60, the GMax 2 and the Wanhao D9 (really cheap!). Do you have any experience with one of those brands? I wouldn’t throw my money away buying a poor-quality printer.

Thanks for your advices.

Joel,

I suggest you send a message to David Leech, who posts over on MLS.

https://forums.mylargescale.com/14-buildings/90268-3d-printed-station.html

David has modified his printer to make very long items (actually, very tall items!) He has printed a complete 36" coach, and the station mentioned in that thread printing multiple large parts.

As far as I know, printing with ABS is always tricky, even with small printers. It is prone to warping and shrinkage and requires lots of precautions (right heated bed, enclosure, etc.). However, I am aware that printing big parts in one piece can easily turn into a total failure. Thus, I’m trying to find the machine with the best price/performance ratio that, with the proper prep, can print big without warping.

Thanks for you suggestion Pete! I had a look at David’s thread and noticed that one user asked him this exact question. Here is David reply:
“Basically I made the printer twice as tall and changed the firmware to that effect.
If you don’t do that, the printer still thinks that it is the original height!
I also took the x and y axis and put them on a gantry so that I didn’t have a build plate that moved back and forth.”

It required a bit of tinkering.

I also dived into the blog where I found the article about the big-bed printers (which raised all my doubts) and found a useful guide, which includes lots of info about 3D printer specs (what they mean, etc.) and learnt a bunch of useful things I would take into consideration for my next purchase. It tokk the modix as an example, and almost convinced me to buy the Big60.

Joel

If the Wanhao D9 works as well as the Wanhao D6, go for it. I also own a Wanhao D7 Plus for resin.

The D6 uses Simplify 3D firmware. For your print process, it is possible to change the build space to any size within the physical limits of the printer. Many other variables can be adjusted as well to make your print perfect.

Pete

Beautiful work by David Leech. It would not be possible to do the same in ABS due to warping.

Gilbert Lacroix - GLX Scale Models

I’ve found ABS is just not worth the frustration(warping). I started with PLA then Pro PLA (PLA+) and now finding I can print PETg reliably which is comparable to ABS in many ways. David Leech has come up with a clever design however, I believe printing large parts is cost prohibitive. Check out what Randy McDonald does with a dado blade https://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/18402/how-to-cut-clapboard-siding/view/post_id/200505