Large Scale Central

Lionel 4-4-2 Atlantic

General ? for anyone who owns or has worked on one and that is are the 818-5101-052 connecting rod mounting screw (4-40 shoulder bolt) the same for both the front and rear driver, diagrams only show the one for the front driver and I’m thinking the rear needs to be longer as it also supports the drive rod.

Bill, Are the rods full thickness or are they lap jointed? I’ve seen that done,

Timber Frame Tools » Scarf Joints

John not sure its at the owners house and I’ll have to go by and look but I don’t believe so as 1 part is the connecting rod and the other is the drive rod from the cylinders, picture just shows # 4 screw with no shoulder which just doesn’t seem right.

https://www.lionelsupport.com/media/servicedocuments/138-5107Complete.pdf

I will check later on mine. I have had them apart several times. If I remember right they are both the same…

Thanks Travis, what I am finding in bits and pieces is that the rear one is a # 4 screw and there must be some kind of sleeve that replaces the shoulder on the 4-40 screw, but not sure, let me know when you do, Bill

Ok bill, Sorry for the delay. I took a picture of both screws. Do you have fb or email you could message me and I can get picture to you. The front driver is a shouldered screw with the octagon head. I believe it is 1/4 in. socket if you used that to remove it. the rear driver is a flat counter sink screw. What ever you do… BE CAREFUL when tightening both of them down. The shaft that they screw into can be brittle and will break. I had to repair one and its not fun…

Yea I read the bit on Greg’s web site, look forward to the pixs, Bill