Large Scale Central

Age of Steam Museum

I didn’t know of this place, need to visit someday!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLXXyxUzQs

OK, I watched that video and it looks like an awesome place to visit. I’ll go with you, Rick! If we ever get out of the house again…

But meanwhile, what the heck kind of locomotive is this (a screen capture from the video, about 2:15 seconds into it)?

It appears to have 3 boilers, 1 stacked above the other 2. And a gazillion rivets. It looks to be an 0-4-0.

Ah… answered my own question by going to their website. Here’s a [link] to the description. It seems to be a compressed air locomotive made by Porter!

Pittsburgh’s H. K. Porter established a reputation as a builder of rugged, specialized locomotives for small industries and short line railroads. It could custom-build a steam locomotive quickly and efficiently through a system of interchangeable parts—pistons, wheels and boilers in various sizes—that could be combined to suit a customer’s specific requirements. Among Porter’s product offerings were compressed-air locomotives, having cylindrical tanks that stored pressurized air from an external source which was used instead of steam to move the engine. This allowed locomotive use inside enclosed areas without the fumes, heat and sparks associated with burning coal. Porter built more than 400 compressed air locomotives for use in mines, factories, textile mills, refineries, munitions plants, food handlers, sugar cane plantations and even the street railways of New Orleans.

Well, phooey, thought the video was going to be interesting then it turned out to be produced by another one of those idiots who thinks it is cute to have music playing while people are talking.

I had followed the building of most of the items … It would be a great place to see.

I had an opportunity to visit there back before it was open to the public, the local garden railroad club arranged a visit. Unfortunately I had another commitment and could not attend. Glad to see it’s open to the public now and not all that far from me so its on my bucket list now.

Gary, mee too. My local model railroad club had arranged a tour, but my job had me out of town at the time.

The Age of Steam Roundhouse is a truely awesome place! So far I have been there three times and look forward to going back again. This has to be the ultimate dream of every railroad buff. It was built by Jerry Jacobson from the proceeds when he sold his 525 mile Ohio Central Railroad in 2008. He started back in 1988 when he bought a 90 mile railroad. In twenty years it grew to ten individual freight hauling railroads with 84 diesels and 10 steam locomotives. He sold the OCRR right of way and most of the workhorse diesel engines and freight cars but kept All of the old equipment. He acquired 34 acres of land adjacent to the OC track and began the construction of the Age of Steam Roundhouse to house, restore and display his collection. He wanted to preserve this part of history as accurately as possible with a fully functional facility to be available for all to see. It is the first full-sized working roundhouse built in the US since 1951. It now houses the largest private collection of steam locomotives in the world, including 22 historic locos.
it has been open to the public for tours for the last two years. The next tour I plan on attending is the Ferroequineologist Tour.

I give it five out of five thumbs up. Way to go Jerry!

I was there in 2015 before they started to do tour which took them for ever to do. i got a lot of good pics of they place while I was there. I hope to return some day to take a tour. It’s a fabulous place to visit. Later RJD

Way back before my cable dealer took the RFD channel off the menu, they had a show called “Trains & Locomotives” on sunday nite. It featured the Ohio Central RR quite a few times. I had post-it notes all over the house reminding me when it was on so I wouldn’t forget to watch it. …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yea, there was some good stuff on Rural Free TV. But Verizon dropped it here too, because it costs too much…free, cost too much? What I miss?