Large Scale Central

Destinations for Waybills

Does anyone participate or has participated in the past in Car Card/Waybill Operations? I have and its a lot of fun. I’ve made a few waybills for rolling stock of mine, running on other people’s layouts. I will say, I have never really ventured into making many myself and figuring the routes and destinations. So like most problems, I turn to you guys, my friends.

This deals with my HO Manufacturers Railway System.

What do you guys think about a database of industries and what railroad (your railroad) they are on and how the product that is being shipped would get to or from St. Louis, Missouri or your railroad, or a city on your railroad.

So what’s the best way to do this? Maybe in “Articles”? What’s your thoughts? I don’t think just an entry in Operations on these Forums is the spot, BUT?

So let me start.

Consignee - Worst Coal & Heating

Address - 727 2nd Street, St. Louis, Mo.

Routing - KVRwy/CSX/AS/MRS

Via - E. St. Louis, Illinois

Shipper - Always Faithful Mine

Address - Owl’s Bend, Illinois

Lading - Coal

Ops Sig has a data base of real industries. Quite the list.

http://www.opsig.org/reso/inddb/

Thanks Craig,

I was aware of that list. I also wanting to include some of our industries. Its just an idea for marketing and shipping on our lines.

Ric; would these waybills apply to only cars in captive service, or to all cars (Free runners) ?

Of course, for example; if the product was coal, the waybill would only apply to hopper cars, or specific class box cars, which could transport bagged coal.

Would the waybills be pulled at random, and the appropriate car pulled from the empty car list, somewhere on the railroad ?

Years ago, back in the 1960’s; I operated on a model railroad (HO), that used a car card system. It is where I gained my passion for Operations. We used a “Four sided” waybill, which was inserted in the appropriate car card. The waybills were drawn at random, like a deck of cards, when making up a train. The cars were pulled from the empties track at the originating station.

When all four destination, on the waybill had been served, the waybill was pulled and the then empty car was directed to, either a specific yard, or to the closest yard the train was to end up at. Any empty cars arriving at a yard, where their “Empty…return to….” was a different yard; would be put into a “Through freight” when enough cars were accumulated, to their appropriate yard. This gave the need to run “Through freights”.

When a waybill was pulled from the “Deck”, and there was no appropriate empty car available; the waybill would be held, until the correct empty became available. Using the in-house communication system, the yardmaster could call the yardmaster at another yard, to try to find an appropriate car. The car would then be put in the next through freight, to the needing location.

Sort of long winded…but I hope it gives a glimpse of card card/waybill operations on one truly OPERATING model railroad

Ric;

As you are aware, on the IPP&W we do not get quite as complicated, as using waybills. We use RailOps. While I would like to be a bit more realistic, in the operations; it can very quickly take away from the fun, if it gets too complicated. Car cards/waybills, cause too much paperwork, and administration, on an outdoor, operating railroad, unless you have a VERY dedicated bunch that want true realism, in operations.

All our cars are “Free-runners”, except for the ore train operations, which are kept overly simple, as a “Learning experience” for new operators.

This bit of chatting, about operations, reminds me of our first real conversation, possibly in Chicago/1999…where we both jumped into the idea of promoting OPERATIONS in LS, out of doors…with the idea that it might prevent boredom, in the hobby, and attract longer interest in model railroading, beyond the plain old “Roundy-Roundy”, and animation in the garden.

We have come a long, long way, my friend; the fun continues, and in our case here, is still growing…It is going to be another GREAT year, starting in the Spring/2020.

Fred Mills (Add a switch today…help your railroad gain a customer…)

Fred Mills. said:

Fred Mills (Add a switch today…help your railroad gain a customer…)

Excellent point …however when I think switches I also think “Punishment” no matter how you factor it !

Hi Fred,

You said - “As you are aware, on the IPP&W we do not get quite as complicated, as using waybills. We use RailOps. While I would like to be a bit more realistic, in the operations; it can very quickly take away from the fun, if it gets too complicated. Car cards/waybills, cause too much paperwork, and administration, on an outdoor, operating railroad, unless you have a VERY dedicated bunch that want true realism, in operations.”

I believe you missed my point. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)I’m not trying to convince anyone to use Car Cards and Waybills. I would like a list of industries and towns on the IPP&WRR, so I could use them on my switching layout railroad as destinations with how I want to enjoy my railroad. If nobody wants to contribute industries and towns from their railroad, no big deal. Actually on the IPP&WRR, I can copy industries and towns, when I visit this Summer. That’s what I am doing, while we stay down here at the Ridge Live Steamers. I’ll just make a list as I visit railroads.

Rick,

Burlington Northern Woodinville Sub, Port Orchard, WA (planned)

Industries to be built;

TD Feeds Redmond, WA; receives loads in covered hoppers, and 40’ boxcars, Oats, corn, soybeans, millrun. Empties out

Darigold Issaquah, WA; receives empty 50’ refrigerator cars, ships out Darigold butter and cheese (cheddar to be specific)

Building Supply Redmond, WA; receives centerbeams, all door boxcars, 50’ boxcars, lumber products, sheetrock, building supplies

Sea Freeze Frozen Storage/Transload Redmond, WA; receives loads of seafood in 50’ refrigerator cars. Empties out/in. Ships out seafood in 50’ refrigerator cars.

Routing via;

BN (NP, GN, CB&Q, or SP&S

MILW to BN

UP to BN

Thank you Craig, very cool.

on my line some yet unbuilt places have names, some built places too.

some names seem to be carved in stone, others seem to be subject to change each devoning time.

the harbor of Lost Gulf (receives: ore, cotton, tobacco and timber - sends: whale oil, fish goods and armaments) is connected to Hole In The Wall (an underground station with a stargate and a tardis - served by men in black and their flashlights - main traffic: alien tourists)

from there, through endless woods poblated by savages and trappers, one travels to Stockwood - the biggest sawmill in the West! (receives: everything, that does not grow on trees - sends lumber)

passing a desert with a pueblo the trains reach Hodge City, a cattle town (receives: everything, one can’t cut out of a cow, ammunitions, guns and new sheriffs - sends: cattle! )

from there, after a looong ride, passing the Dixon Masie line, the train reaches Sin City (or was it Chicano? or was it Toningwash?) (receives: cattle and timber - sends:carpetbaggers and lawyers)

westwards, passing painted wagons and coaches full of women, the train reaches the mining town of No Name City high up in the mountains. (receives: women and everything else yer can’t or shan’t dig out of the earth - sends: ore)

next stop is deep in the south, Tara Junction. (receives: everything, one can not plant - sends: cotton, tobacco and rum)

from there the train finally returns to Lost Gulf’s harbor.

Korm Kormsen said:

some names seem to be carved in stone, others seem to be subject to change each devoning time.

the harbor of Lost Gulf (receives: ore, cotton, tobacco and timber - sends: whale oil, fish goods and armaments) is connected to Hole In The Wall (an underground station with a stargate and a tardis - served by men in black and their flashlights - main traffic: alien tourists)

from there, through endless woods poblated by savages and trappers, one travels to Stockwood - the biggest sawmill in the West! (receives: everything, that does not grow on trees - sends lumber)

passing a desert with a pueblo the trains reach Hodge City, a cattle town (receives: everything, one can’t cut out of a cow, ammunitions, guns and new sheriffs - sends: cattle! )

from there, after a looong ride, passing the Dixon Masie line, the train reaches Sin City (or was it Chicano? or was it Toningwash?) (receives: cattle and timber - sends:carpetbaggers and lawyers)

westwards, passing painted wagons and coaches full of women, the train reaches the mining town of No Name City high up in the mountains. (receives: women and everything else yer can’t or shan’t dig out of the earth - sends: ore)

next stop is deep in the south, Tara Junction. (receives: everything, one can not plant - sends: cotton, tobacco and rum)

KORM,

YOU HIT IT ALL… WHAT A RAIL ROAD.

Korm Kormsen said:

Korm, these are great! So have you got a railroad interchange with something that makes a connection to a railroad heading toward St. Louis, Missouri? I need some “vias”. Thank you for the input.

Noel, I agree! “What a railroad!”

Suggested waybill destination/industry:

Chandler’s Crystal Clear Bottled Water, and Hazardous waste plant.

Cedar Rock Ontario.

Served by: IPP&W RAILROAD

Accepts: Tank Cars; liquid waste

Ships: Clean, food grade Products in: Tank Cars, Box cars. Reefers, if chilling is required.

Contact IPP&W/RP&M agent, Craigleigh Ontario

Fred Mills. said:

Suggested waybill destination/industry:

Candler’s Crystal Clear Bottled Water, and Hazardous waste plant.

Cedar Rock Ontario.

Served by: IPP&W RAILROAD

Accepts: Tank Cars; liquid waste

Ships: Clean, food grade Products in: Tank Cars, Box cars. Reefers, if chilling is required.

Contact IPP&W/RP&M agent, Craigleigh Ontario

What the “H”? Man, I could have sworn I put an “h” on that sign…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Some other industries that just happen to be on the J&B:

Matheson Textiles (mostly boxcars, the occasional hopper), Mills Fuels (tank cars and hoppers, the occasional boxcar), Salmons produce (reefers & ventilated boxcars), Buchanan Tool & Die (mostly boxcars, the occasional hopper), Smith Pond Mill (boxcars), McCown Freight (mostly boxcars, occasionally my lone flatcar) , Brunt Interchange (ALL foreign road cars)

Correction made, Bruce…my mistake. I hope no feeling were hurt…

Fred

…interchange with something that makes a connection to a railroad heading toward St. Louis, Missouri?

Saint Louis???

next you’ll ask, if we trade with the Frenchies in Montreal too?

(but i can tell you a secret: Lost Gulf is south of the Rio Grande…)

the only connections are to the “Dutch Mule Line” in No Name City, comeing down from Marvin Ridge and to the plantation line (nicknamed “Cottonmouth R.R.” after frequent, but unpaying passengers) to Tara junction.

both narrow gauge (32mm Faller train)

as one or two of you might have noticed, Korm’s world is in a paralell universe.

I remind young Korm, that Montreal, in the Province of Quebec, is in Canada, and is populated by a range of ethic cultures, we Canadians are rather proud of. French speaking Canadians , are not known as “Frenchies”…They are one of our true founding races, here in North America.

If your railroad is seeking interchange privileges, please show respect. You can find interchange places, all along our hopefully friendly US/Canadian border, from the east coast to West coast. I suggest you find a railroad agent in The USofA, to help you plan a routing for any business you may have transporting to a place In Canada.

There are many Railroad Agents, who are members of this LSC group, that successfully transact interchange with the IPP&W/RP&M, and will gladly assist you, if needed. Young Mr. B. Chandler esq. (With an H) is a friendly example, representing a railroad in the USofA, along with being in the Bottled water and Sludge business.

There are numerous railroads from deep into South America, that are connected indirectly to the Southern Mexican border, and with connecting railroads, through Mexico to the Southern US border. This should aid your possible routing towards Canada.

dear Frere Fred,

without wanting to be disrespectfull to my elders, may i repeat from above:

Korm’s world is in a paralell universe.

so, please don’t take everything, i write on behalf of the Southern & Gulf RR at face value.

in this - our - universe, i even would like to visit places like your railroad empire, if it weren’t for the disfortunate ban of tobacco on airplanes.

yours truly etc., etc…

Korm,

I got it figured out.