Large Scale Central

Interesting USAT chatter on FB

One of the groups I’m in on Facebook claims to be a “repository” for all things USAT…

A few items caught my attention today. It sounds like USAT is working on new production runs of the locomotives. One thing that caught my eye was a MSRP pricing of ~$1200 F7 A&B units, ~$700 for just the A.

Also, supposedly they are working on a redesign of the 3 axle trucks, and when that is done, the 40-2 will be back.

A little rich for my wallet…

Glad I have my fleet of 4 locomotives…

I will try and screen shot the info tomorrow.

I just order a pair of SD40-2 motor blocks a couple of days ago from Mike at USAT parts since he confirmed they are now available.

-Ted

Craig I take that MSRP price with a grain of salt. I agree it looks shocking but if you go to the USAT website and look at prices there they are all insane MSRP as well. Remember this only recommended MSRP doesn’t mean that what they will sell for. Go to Charles Ro site and prices end up lower.

Joseph Lupinski said:

Craig I take that MSRP price with a grain of salt. I agree it looks shocking but if you go to the USAT website and look at prices there they are all insane MSRP as well. Remember this only recommended MSRP doesn’t mean that what they will sell for. Go to Charles Ro site and prices end up lower.

I completely agree, but those prices are supposedly the Charles Ro prices… Even if we discount those as high, that’s still $500 a locomotive. But then again, Athearn just announced a HO scale caboose; $109 without sound, $150 with sound.

Do your remember the initial “list price” on the Bachmann K27? $1200…

Greg Elmassian said:

Do your remember the initial “list price” on the Bachmann K27? $1200…

And what did it end up selling for? $500-800? I don’t remember.

But I agree that MSRP is always way over what the actual street price is.

RLD has the A unit at $375 for pre-order (I’m sure that could change). If true, though, that seems about right to me.

Yep, so I hope everyone is calm now ha ha!

Interested in what changes to the 3 axle blocks are being considered. I would be willing to bet on ball bearings somewhere.

Greg

For us Diesel fans, I was hoping USAT would come out with a F7/F7B combo with the Southern Pacific gray/red color scheme. Looks like they’re only committing to the SP ‘Daylight’ and ‘Black Widow’ paint livery, so beggars can’t be choosers I guess…

I was told that USAT modified the existing F-3 mold to make F-7’s. So the F-7 is pretty much the same as an F-3 with a different front end.

I’m biased, but I think some BN green F units would sure look pretty. Heck if I’m going to dream, I might as well say BN 1 & 2… :slight_smile:

Chas Ro has one item listed at $779.95 for A&B units-Rio Grande - http://charlesro-com.3dcartstores.com/F7-AB-Unit-Locomotives_c_629.html

Is $375 really the price of new locomotives now? I haven’t bought any new locomotives in years (10+), so I can’t say one way or another.

779 for an AB set at the Charles Ro price is actually pretty good for a set of engines. Considering the F3 AB pair in the resale channel have been going for 6-700 depending on livery.

Also considering if you can get any of the vendors for USAT stuff can sell you the engines close to their whole sale cost, the could be substantially lower than that 779.

Here is hoping it does not take 2-3 years to get these into our hands.

Michael Kirrene said:

For us Diesel fans, I was hoping USAT would come out with a F7/F7B combo with the Southern Pacific gray/red color scheme. Looks like they’re only committing to the SP ‘Daylight’ and ‘Black Widow’ paint livery, so beggars can’t be choosers I guess…

I was told that USAT modified the existing F-3 mold to make F-7’s. So the F-7 is pretty much the same as an F-3 with a different front end.

I to would like to see the Bloody Nose SP livery of the F wagons… Not sure why a Daylight scheme F7 A/B unit will be offered and or was originally offered as an F3 by USAT. Southern Pacific NEVER had any F units in said livery. The SSW/Cotton Belt had the ONE and only F unit in Daylight livery ever painted; FP7 #306A. No B units were painted in Daylight colors as far I know. As I recall LGB offered a F7A/B in Daylight too? I’m working on a couple sets of F3A/B’s converted to F7’s to be painted in Scarlet Red/Gray Bloody Nose scheme. Also plan on painting PA units in Bloody Nose scheme.

There are many exterior (body) differences between an F3 and F7, some are more notable than others. The issue becomes which itteration do you want to model with regard to the F7. I don’t recall changes to the nose of the F units.

SP is alive and well represented here in Elverta, CA…

Interesting “chatter” on the FB Group. Looking forward to new stuff from USAT. Also hope to see USAT rewarded/praised/admired for their latest investment in our toy trains!

Michael

I bet the reason they are keeping the wrong paint scheme is because they already have it figured out.

Being from the Northeast, I’m not much of an SP fan, but for whatever reason I still love the scarlet red/gray scheme on those F-units…they also need snow plows and all the extra air hoses and ice breakers!!!

My only request would be the Boston and Maine. B&M F7 4268 is said to be restored to operation sometime soon (next year?), joining it’s sister 4266 in excursion service in the Mt Washington Valley, NH.

Ooh, an F7. I want one in Penn Central black, with the red and white mating worm logo…

A little surprised to see posts like yours David, the road names are listed, and not in production yet, so it will be many moons before more road names are added if ever. Kinda don’t see the point.

http://www.usatrains.com/usatrainslocof7.html

One surprising thing, the chrome Santa Fe units are same price as painted models. The Aristo chrome E8’s and the USAT chrome F3’s all had a higher price for the more expensive plating process.

Well, if the price holds steady, I might just get some more, although I do have a 7 unit F3 consist already… oh the pain, the pain (my pocketbook groaning)

Greg

If the USAT illustration currently on their site accurately represents there NEW F7 offering, I’d suggest it’s depicting an EARLY “Phase 1”, iteration. That said the new intake grilles are a quagmire herein as I can’t definitively ascertain if they are the early horizontal or later vertical configured openings. Providing the grilles are horizontal the new model represents an early Phase 1 F7. If the grilles have vertical openings, LATE Phase 1 is being modeled, if this is the case the USAT F7 late Phase 1 offering is sans several notable updates, i.e., rounded corner cab doors/frames, two weather drip strips over the windows and doors vs one, wing window changes and the delete of kick plates under the steps. In either case the trucks are ill equipped and or modeled with inaccurate braking features.

Perhaps the Daylight schemed F3 and the new F7’s are aimed at pulling passenger car consists, as I noted the F3 is identified/numbered as an E9 in the #6000 series which was painted in Daylight colors and used to pull passenger trains.

I’d suggest the NEW USAT F7 utilizes the original F3 shell, adding a 36” Dynamic Brake fan and replacing the wire intake covers with either horizontal or vertical intake grilles/frames.

Late Phase 1 vertical grilles fitted to USAT F3B unit below.

Michael

I have not seen any pictures of the actual or prototype, are there any to be had?