Large Scale Central

Did USAT make a PS2 Covered hopper?

I recently acquired a bunch of AML cars and noticed one was a bit different. I initially thought someone had made locks for the hatches but upon closer inspection I see the ends match that of the USAT ACF center-flow however, the roof walks are plastic. The car is Undecorated, 3mm longer and lacks the pneumatic unloading ports. Came with AML trucks.

Its a AML car. AML made a PS2 covered hopper.

The USAT covered hopper is a 4 bay.

http://accucraft.com/modelc/G431-01-HOPPER.htm

Craig Townsend said:

Its a AML car. AML made a PS2 covered hopper.

The USAT covered hopper is a 4 bay.

http://accucraft.com/modelc/G431-01-HOPPER.htm

Craig, did you look at the pictures? 5 of them look like the CSX one and match those in the link you supplied. Can’t imagine AML made one that has USAT ends and hatches.

It’s a 3 bay with the flat ribbed sides like the AML

Dan,

As far as I know these are the available commercial hopper cars.

1.LGB 3 bay covered hopper

1. USAT 4 bay covered hopper

2. AML 3 bay covered hopper

That is it. If its not LGB (super easy to spot), then by default its AML. The USAT is not a PS2 model.

So if it has 3 bays, and not 4 it can’t be a USAT version (nor is the USAT flat like the AML.

This leaves 2 possibilities:

1. AML model.

2. Kitbashed/scratch built.

I will try and take a photo of my USAT and LGB cars to show you the difference. I don’t have any AML cars.

OK, So I believe it’s a kitbash. Most looks to be AML except the ends and hatches match USAT. Some work had to be done to move the hinges around as the spacing is not the same for AML. Also, for some reason, the modeler decided to switch the A & B ends so the hatches open to the opposite side.

I wonder if it was a preproduction sample AML model?

Do you have more photos you can share? I’m really intrigued now and want to figure out if it truly is a kitbash/scratch built.

I will add, I forgot to day there is one other cover hopper model floating out there, and that is Burl Rice’s model. But I don’t think this is one of those.

http://burlrice.com/_LS_PS2CD4427/

Craig Townsend said:

I wonder if it was a preproduction sample AML model?

I was thinking the same thing. I don’t think it’s a kit bash (possible I suppose) as I’m pretty sure the USA hatch covers are rounded on the ends. Perhaps there were two different AML runs ? I have a few of them but they are at home and I’m at work.

It wouldn’t surprise me that AML would have two different hatch covers. Heck USAT has two different styles as well. They have the long trough hatch and then the small circular hatch.

OK, So now that I’ve really taken some time to inspect this thing I no longer believe it to be a kitbash. The top corners of the ends have the wrong angle to be USAT and Rooster is correct - The USAT hatch covers are rounded.

Very good possibility this is another AML run.

No parts on the car look to be scratch built.

Looking inside, Normal AML cars are shiny plastic color matching the outside. This one looks to be gray plastic with a light coat of oxide red and then grey primer.

So, does anyone else have a car like this?

Dan,

Are the trucks and couplers the same on both cars?

I suspect “This Car” is an AML pre production car that perhaps unintentionally (or maybe purposely) got loose from Accucraft / AML.

-Ted

Ted Doskaris said:

Dan,

Are the trucks and couplers the same on both cars?

Yes they are Ted

I suspect “This Car” is an AML pre production car that perhaps unintentionally (or maybe purposely) got loose from Accucraft / AML.

They were shipped from Hayward, CA about 13 mins from AML Accucraft in Union City!

Dan,

Hayward and Union City, CA is almost directly across the San Francisco bay from where I live. Did you get that car via ebay or an individual?

Thank you,

-Ted

Ted Doskaris said:

Dan,

Hayward and Union City, CA is almost directly across the San Francisco bay from where I live. Did you get that car via ebay or an individual?

eBay seller hobby-g. I got 8 cars from him. All AML $40 each!

Wow $40 a car. That’s a steal! I wonder if that is a AML warehouse clearance move.