Large Scale Central

3 truck shay plug connection

I am trying to put the Revolution RC and Battery in my Bachmann 3 truck Shay. I just discovered that the plug between the Locomotive and the 3 truck (water tender) is not making contact. There is at least 1 wire that has been pulled out of the plug. The plug is an 8 pin plug (flat) that measures approximately 1/4" thick x 1 inch long and 3/8" tall. Does anyone know where I could obtain a new plug? It would be advantageous for it to have the wires already installed on the top of the plug. I have checked with Bachmann and they do not list it on their website. If there is also another way to wire the 3rd truck tender to the locomotive please let me know. All suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Colin Criswell

Give Bachmann parts a call and see if they might have one in their “spare parts” bin, worth a shot.

Picture?

Tom

Here’s what the little devil looks like. I had the same problem, for a different reason, and one of the fellas, Dan Hilyer thank you, was kind enough to send me a spare he had.

I Have just finished converting a three truck Shay to Battery R/C.

I did this one a little differently to how I used to do them.

The batteries, R/C, ESC and sound all went into the third truck. I separated the motors from the regular stock Bachmann wiring and powered them directly from the ESC. That necessitated a pair of JST connector wires from the tender to the loco. Any other wiring such as lights etc used the stock Bachmann connectors.

The on board pcb’s were powered by the traction batteries via a small relay, much like I commonly convert USA diesels.

One important thing to remember is to strengthen the wiring connections in the loco to tender plug, by applying silicone adhesive to the back where the wires go into the plug.

This was a DCC equipped model from which I removed the DCC. Dead easy to return it to regular DC operation with the excellent Bachmann exploded diagrams.

It certainly looks complicated, but all wiring connections are clearly marked on the main pcb in the small bunker behind the cab.

John, that is the plug I need. If any one knows where to get one (Bachmann says they do not have any in stock) I would appreciate any sources. Even if it does not have the wires attached, I can find a way to attach the wires.

Tony, so far as I can tell the only one that is not connected is the first wire. I have installed the battery in the third truck and was using the first two wires (formerly the third truck pickup wires) to send the battery voltage to the Revo in the tender (above the second truck). So if I have to I can add a JST connector between the second and third truck. Thank you for the suggestion. Previously you told me about the flickering LED’s for the fire box and ash pit. I did obtain them and made boards that fit those two places. They are wired directly to the Battery so when the battery is turned on the fire box and ash pan light up. Again thank you for all of your suggestions and help.

Colin

The C-19 has two cables from the tender to the locomotive

The larger of these two has the same plug as used in the 3 truck Shay

I cut one in have and used to repair two Shay’s

Stan

Colin,

I would not use the crappy stock Bachmann wiring to transmit the full load of the engine. They are simply not robust enough.

I doubt one pair of them can handle the load of the whole loco on the battery supply

I separate the motors from the rest of the loco and run a separate pair of wires with JST connectors from the ESC to get the control voltage from the tender to the loco.

The accessories, lights and firebox flicker, draw very little current, so one pair could handle that load. I do not recommend using the smoke unit. They flatten battery packs very quickly.

uh oh, he said bachmann connector and wire crappy… the wrath of Bachmann will rain down!! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

(clearly if the wire has come from the plug it must be true!)

I know you just want to repair your loco, but perhaps using more standard, more easily sourced, and more robust connectors should be considered?

Greg

Greg, I agree with you and Tony. The Bachmann wiring is not the best. You suggested that I use a more standard and easily sourced and more robust connectors. Do you have any suggestions? I have googled “electronic connectors” and there are thousands of connectors that come up. So a name of a manufacturer or part number would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Colin

Helpful for all of us. I know the JST connector has been mentioned. Are there any other recommendations?

David Maynard said:

Helpful for all of us. I know the JST connector has been mentioned. Are there any other recommendations?

Try searching Molex Spox Headers https://www.molex.com/molex/products/family?key=spox&channel=pr

Something similar to this available from Mouser 250V 3A rated.

https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/99-99-0988?qs=%2FgUkheq8lYnDtyvwgjyv7g%3D%3D&vip=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9NXvkKjb5AIVWyUrCh2q7wMcEAQYASABEgKxfvD_BwE

To increase current carrying capability connect 2 or more pins together, (this method has been used by aircraft radio manufacturers for years) I did this when I converted my Shay with battery in water tank .

all electronics:

pictures and links here:

https://elmassian.com/index.php/large-scale-train-main-page/dcc-battery-rc-electronics/misc-electronics/connectors

Greg

I could dig out the part numbers of what I have always used. Same part numbers I gave to Stanley for use in the K-27, before somebody decided on Legos sized plugs.

Same spacing so you can solder into the board in the third truck.

Of course, there were “fixes” published on tying down the wires in the fuel bunker to keep them from breaking off the board.

Gee, those “high priced installers” one (ONE) person complained about…those guys who had to re-engineer this garba…oops, stuff to make it work.

Go ahead, fix it. Simply trying to unplug that factory plug will break wires…sooner…or later. And, if batteries in water bunker with speaker, and electronics in fuel bunker…the surge current will often light up that (cheapest they could buy) PRC wiring. One of the guys on this forum had that exact thing happen.

New plugs, SuperFlex wire. Never had one of mine fail there again.

TOC