Large Scale Central

Bachmann Track -- Any Practical Uses?

Aloha,

Every time I throw something out, LSC member and “pen pal” Bill Barnwell shows how to make a masterpiece out of it by combining the junk with a stapler and some nail heads , so I thought I would ask before consigning my Bachmann trap to trash bin! All but the turn-outs are that thin metal stamped into a rail shape. They have served their purpose circling the previous owner’s Christmas tree and providing us “indoor track” from time to time. Their ends are misshapen, the rails rusty, and they are now more frustrating than functional. I was able to retire 24 feet of 12" track sections of brass track on the Triple O with a recent purchase of 4’ LGB track, but CINCHOUSE authorized the expenditure on the condition I retire the B’mann track that was giving Kid-zilla, and thus her, fits.

With the straight and curve tracks, I am just sort of fishing for ideas here. Can they be bent to look like re-railers on bridges? Or will these rails just crimp? Can the metal rails or plastic ties be repurposed? Right now, I plan to use some on a train storage self and hand the rest over to the crew for rail-themed art projects.

The turn-outs, which look much more robust and appear to be solid stainless or other silvery metal, look like they could be useful following some Dremel work and railclamps. I am worried, though that would simply set in motion galvanic corrosion when I clamp them to the brass LGB rail that predominates on the Triple O. Any thoughts or personal experiences on this?

Off to the Ewa Railroad to celebrate Wailua Agriculture Co. #6’s 100th Birthday!

Have a great weekend!

Eric

They normally collapse when you try to bend them, but as far as I have observed, the joiners are likewise steel that will rust, definitely not stainless.

Your concern about galvanic action is well versed in reality, so besides rusting the galvanic action will further speed their demise, even in a less humid environment.

I only use this rail as storage tracks within my house.

Greg

Thanks, Greg!

We’ve used sections as an abandoned rail line in our layout.

Sophie B

Dismal Creek Railroad

I use 2 sections of that Bachmann track on my workbench. It easy to pull them out of the drawer they are kept in along with my KaDee coupler height gauge, set them up with the gauge, and then check/adjust the couplers on what I am working on. The rest of my Bachmann track is in a box in storage somewhere, probably to never be used again.

I have repurposed the ties to make very good track for a track leading out of my train shed to the main railroad using aluminum rail in 6 foot sections.

Thanks to all! Looks like we shall consign segments to storage tracks on our various shelves, investigate a possible abandoned siding (the Triple O is pretty small. This would be a squeeze!), and donate the rest to the “craft project” box, then.

Eric

Sophie,

Using it as an abandoned siding was a spot on idea:

Kid-zilla and I partially buried this in one of the few areas that is not just gravel, and it really could pass for an abandoned siding or part of a re-routed right-of-way. Now let’s see if the kids leave it in place… This really makes me wish I had more areas to use this trick! Thanks so much!

As for the rest of the track, about 4’ went to a shelf for the boys’ trains. The switches, with some work, could be made compatible enough with LGB track for temporary indoor empires, and the rest, well, we’ll see.

Thanks again!

Eric

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)Yay!!

As thin and flimsy as the formed tinplate Bachmann track is, I wonder how long it will take before it rusts out.

Edit because spell chequer don’t talk Engalish so best.

some places one season is enough… some places a few years…

@David and Greg: For the price (effectively free), if it lasts a couple months, I am OK. Maybe by then I’ll have something actually growing at that spot!

To store the Bachmann track, just fold it in half. Then it becomes great landfill material!!

You have more free time than me Eric! I try not to do anything twice/over

You have more free time than me Eric! I try not to do anything twice/over

(oops ha ha ha)

You could place the ties in a pile along the main. I have seen this on real RR’s. The rails could be used in a similar way either as old or new track along the track or on a car as a load. You could paint them or let the rust.

The abandoned rail section looks great.

I grind them up and sprinkle them on salad… Just thought I would throw that out there since nobody else has suggested it.

Display and storage track is the only real use I have found for the tin track.

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

I grind them up and sprinkle them on salad… Just thought I would throw that out there since nobody else has suggested it.

Boomer,

Do you serve the ties as you would bread sticks???(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

They are a bit chewy for my taste.

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

I’ve eaten much worse…

Oh, and Todd, there is a distant idea for a MOW train. I’ll save a couple straight tracks for that, reserving the curved ones for culinary experimentation!