Large Scale Central

Tar Paper Roof

What are people using for a tar paper roof?

Stan

I like to use the self adhesive non-slip tread. It comes in different widths so you can don’t have to cut to the width you want.

I use black E-6000 to fill the gaps. Seems to hold up pretty well.

I also use the black adhevive to attach parts to it.

Stan, for tar I score lines in the plastic sheet and paint semigloss black. To add the roofing cement look in seams and joints (for repairs) a fine messy line of gloss black seems to work. Get a bit of real dirt and rub it into the finished roof to give it a hit or miss dull spotty look. Unfortunately I have no pics to show.)

Bruce’s method is a good representation of roll roofing used on residential applications and mine is more in line with a hot tar roof, used on flat roofs.

Stan: I’ve been using wet-dry sandpaper, but I like the sound of the self-adhesive tread material that Bruce uses:

Im with Jim, Wet dry sandpaper.

Don’t skimp on the tread tape, though. I used the cheap stuff from Harbor Freight, and it shrank over the course of the Summer–like 1/2" over 15" length on the roof. The 3M stuff does not shrink.

I tried once cutting it into strips to simulate 3-tab shingles. Didn’t work. Two weeks out in the hot Colorado sun, and the adhesive melted and each strip slid down roof.

I’ve used a higher-end black duct tape which worked well. It actually expanded and contracted and got some pretty realistic-looking wrinkles in the roof. Alas, I’ve misplaced the roll and I haven’t a clue what brand it was.

Later,

K

IMG_4078 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

I use a good brand of duct tape, then coat it with Flex Seal, I have had some out side for yrs, It has turned Gray.

Now for me I always use either steel or aluminum substrate. I know that prevents leakage if any cover fails.

diner roof

This doesn’t have any seam lines in it but could be done easily with a marker, painted flat black first the coated with liquid floor wax and the sprayed silver over it

I’ve had pretty good luck with wet/dry sand paper. Finding the right adhesive has been the challenge.

Steve Featherkile said:

I’ve had pretty good luck with wet/dry sand paper. Finding the right adhesive has been the challenge.

Steve, LocTite Quick Grab, or Pro Grab, has been the lifesaver for my projects of all kinds, and it’s like six bucks a tube.

I’ve used GOOP without a problem on the wet/dry sandpaper. Well, for almost anything. It’s my go-to glue for most things.

Mine too, but Quick Grab is also good for certain applications, like when I am gluing foam.

Wet and dry for me too, stuck down with UHU.