Large Scale Central

3D printing a flatcar

I know I can get a used flatcar for under $5, but 3D printing one will give me a chance to design one specifically for my own purposes. This will be a 1:32 40 foot flatcar to deliver a 30 foot long (also 3D printed) architectural column. I’m using a Bachmann flatcar as a starter. This has a fairly simple undercarriage but it does have stake pockets, and will have metal wheels and Kadee #1 body mounted couplers when I’m through. No pictures yet, but the design is nearly finished. I did it in Tinkdercad.

Problem with Large Scale is that the car is to big to print in one piece, so I’m having to slice it into thirds, then I’ll have to glue it back together, unless I use truss rods to bolt it together.

keep us posted Dick.

signed

another 3d printer nut

Dick, how many sections need to be printed to get the whole length?

Greg

I guess he will be printing a kit, some assembly required.

Length is function of the printer (so is width and height) wanted to know how much splicing will be needed.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Dick, how many sections need to be printed to get the whole length?

Greg

Dick said “Problem with Large Scale is that the car is to big to print in one piece, so I’m having to slice it into thirds, then I’ll have to glue it back together, unless I use truss rods to bolt it together.”

Dick said: “Problem with Large Scale is that the car is to big to print in one piece, so I’m having to slice it into thirds, then I’ll have to glue it back together, unless I use truss rods to bolt it together.”

Thirds it is.

Dang Joe beat me by a millisecond!

Thanks Joe! Did not see that the first time, although see that the post is edited.

Will be watching, getting the printer bug bad…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Thanks Joe! Did not see that the first time, although see that the post is edited.

Will be watching, getting the printer bug bad…

Greg

I guess you missed this also in Dick’s post "This post was edited by Dick Friedman at August 8, 2019 3:40 AM EDT ". You asked your question on Aug. 9th. You are not following your own advice to read it twice before posting. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

that’s what I like about this forum… the helpful attitude with the knife poised for the thrust

Greg Elmassian said:

that’s what I like about this forum… the helpful attitude with the knife poised for the thrust

Silly man,

Rooster has a nut pick;

and Joe and I use our elbows to nudge you back …

let’s keep it life sized.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Greg Elmassian said:

I was just reminding you of a useful bit of trivia!

Thanks, clearly I need to have 3 Roosters in my LSC experience, trivia is a pretty lame excuse to pick on someone

You’re welcome. Just pointing out one of your very own golden rules (trivia).(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Greg Elmassian said:

clearly I need to have 3 Roosters in my LSC experience

Yes , as it keeps the balance !

I’m still waiting to hear about what was made on the Sherline or how to remove/replace the wheels on the RS-3. Was looking forward to that one in time for open house, but never happened.

Todd Brody said:

I’m still waiting to hear about what was made on the Sherline or how to remove/replace the wheels on the RS-3. Was looking forward to that one in time for open house, but never happened.

¿

Total 4 now… do you make lists of things you have decided that people are to deliver to you… I’ve done several things on the Sherline, but why would I share it with you after another comment like that?

If you were going to share anything you had made, you would have done it long ago. And why would you even think that you are only sharing it with me? Lots of other people here too. Get real!

Greg Elmassian said:

Total 4 now… do you make lists of things you have decided that people are to deliver to you… I’ve done several things on the Sherline, but why would I share it with you after another comment like that?

I am certain there are more lurking out there for you. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)