Large Scale Central

Any Fellow Western Maryland Fans?

Any other Western Maryland fans out there?

If so, how did you become a fan, and what hooked you about the WM?

If you have any model equipment, regardless of the scale, feel free to post photos.

I first became a fan of the Wild Mary at about 5 years old, when I checked out “The Western Maryland Railway in the Diesel Era” from my local library. Not long after that, I rode the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad for the first time. I’ve been a big fan ever since. The WM is one of the neatest and most unique railroads to travel through my home state. The circus paint scheme is perhaps my favorite paint scheme of all time.

I do have this …does this count ?

Joe, I have to say I have some WM equipment. Yes I’m a fan of the local 3 (B&O, C&O, WM) as I grew up in the Brooklyn section of Baltimore(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I have the WM set that was the show set from the ECLSTS years ago, and I bought the 4 Piko hoppers that were on sale at last years show. I like the fireball logo, and I like trains. But I haven’t learned much about the WM, so I can’t say that I am much of a fan.

We have ridden on the WM scenic twice now. Once behind Mountain Thunder, an once behind their GP.

Jerry (naptowneng) has a sweet collection.

I’m a B&O/WM fan and most of the local RR’s that were affiliated with them like CNJ & Reading. I might have one C&O. I have tons of B&O and I have 1 old REA era WM FA/B set and one of the ECLSTS Sets, various pieces of rolling stock etc. They were a Maryland RR so I’ve always been a fan, ridden WMSRR, visited some of their old facilities, etc. The Fireball scheme is my favorite. I’m actually working on a USAT GP30 and can’t make up my mind which WMSRR paint scheme I want to put it in. I’m stuck between the regular WM for 504 or doing the 2131 Orioles engine. I"ve stripped and finished repainting it in black and just can’t pull the trigger on the decals.

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Joe, I have to say I have some WM equipment. Yes I’m a fan of the local 3 (B&O, C&O, WM) as I grew up in the Brooklyn section of Baltimore(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Very Cool, where did you get the BL2? is that scratchbuilt?

I picked up a Baldwin DF-16 body over the winter I hope to start painting soon (in B&O of course.)

I would call myself a low key WM fan. What got me started? Hmm. As a child I really liked the Chessie System colors and cat logo. Wasn’t until I was over 40 that I finally told my parents it was based on a cat, they didn’t like cats! And WM was a component of the Chessie System and wasn’t as intensely followed as the C&O and B&O, so, therefore, I liked the WM.
My WM trains are all HO; about 6 locomotives, 2 cabooses, and some cars.

That, several books, and a cap with the WM logo, are the WM things I have.

The trains get used down at model RR club. I don’t have much of any pictures of them.

John Narvell said:

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Very Cool, where did you get the BL2? is that scratchbuilt?

I picked up a Baldwin DF-16 body over the winter I hope to start painting soon (in B&O of course.)

Just saw this John. Yes scratch built to 1/29th scale(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Joe Loll said:

Any other Western Maryland fans out there?

If so, how did you become a fan, and what hooked you about the WM?

If you have any model equipment, regardless of the scale, feel free to post photos.

I first became a fan of the Wild Mary at about 5 years old, when I checked out “The Western Maryland Railway in the Diesel Era” from my local library. Not long after that, I rode the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad for the first time. I’ve been a big fan ever since. The WM is one of the neatest and most unique railroads to travel through my home state. The circus paint scheme is perhaps my favorite paint scheme of all time.

Yes,

Dad used to take me fishing on the Yellow Breeches around Brantsville ,PA close to a bridge that I have tried to represent on my RR numerous times with failure to my liking.

It was once owned by Reading (out of Rutherford Yards) and now owned by NS currently called the Lurgan Branch. I remember seeing all kinds of DIESEL mashups as a kid in the early 1970’s with cabooses and not FREDS …yes I’m young, to the others that balk at that comment just means you are OLDER than me !

Lots of history if you search out Lurgan and Rutherford …they interchanged in Hagerstown MD and I loved seeing the WM units as it was a treat ! Chessie was in fresh paint yellow, vermillion, and blue but still saw old WM units .

However I have no pictures so it never happened !

Helmstetters Curve was often featured in the old Trains magazine, that inspired a closer look at the fireball logo…

Yeah I could model that!

There are some good You Tube videos featuring WM 734, so beautifully portrayed in the photo by John. There are also some with her running as 729 as a special charter. My interest in the WM was spared by my late friend Harry Hartman (of ECLSTS fame). He was also a great fan of the WM, but then he only lived a stones throw from Cumberland MD. I am sure it is the 729 video that features Harry, with his blue truck.

I have two large wall prints of B&O 4001 and WM 1407 both on the turntable at Cumberland sent as a gift. I see these every morning, a pleasing sight for the old eyes. The only WM stock I have is a 40ft. boxcar with speed lettering (Aristo) and a short covered hopper (Aristo) - one of the specials for Star Hobby (but the manufacturers got the colour wrong!). I would repaint it but that would destroy the speed lettering, so I keep it as it is. * They run often here and are a nice memory of a very kind person, whom I hope to meet one day. I am sure there are facilities for railroaders in heaven. If not I want to stay here a bit longer. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

• I am often surprised when watching railfan web cams how many fallen flag cars can be seen in consists. Most wear worn but names still discernable.