Large Scale Central

Good Small Locos for under $100?

What quality small locos can be had for under $100 NEW? I realize that this sounds like an oxymoron. I am very familiar with the Hartland Mack, but are there any others that hit the mark? I am not concerned with scale, nor the kind of loco it is.

Joe, New or used? If by small you mean 2 axle then Aristocraft 0-4-0, eggliner and Lil Critter can be had (used) for under $100.

Joe,

If you are just after the motor blocks hit the ECLSTS in 2020 down your way. I’m sure Charlie Ro will be there with motor blocks for about $50.

Dan, I was thinking more of new locos, but used locos might work. Thank you for asking.

Hartland made several models. BridgeMasters had a bunch and they were asking <$100.

If you only need the motor block the eggliner is now being made by Bachmann and the motor block alone is only about $60.00. I just purchased 2 motor blocks from Reindeer Pass and put them in an Aristocraft U25b. They fit perfectly and run great. I also have a Hartland Mack that runs great as well.

I have gotten many used locos for under $100.00. Most are LGB.

The 2090 is a good small loco and I even was able to get a damaged LGB Davenport (2063) for less than $50. No smoke stack or couplers but for the $$ it was a great deal.

Thank you all for your input, but I am looking specifically for locos in new condition, complete locos, not just a motor block. Something simple and robust.

How about half a loco for half a yard?

Bachmann has periodic sales of their 4-6-0 chassis, you get a working set of wheels and all the details below the boiler. I think it was $55 last time I got one.

We would have told you, had it existed, honest.

I have been known to phrase it this way:

Welcome to G $cale.

Oh yeah, because there is no tender, I decided to make a commuter loco. There are many variants, but below will explain my thinking, on a good day.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Plastic pipe and found shapes should compete the look. Easy Peasy

But still not off the shelf.

John is that articulated, Mason Bogie style, neat looking engine looks like something that would pull 3 or 4 commuter cars

Bill Barnwell said:

John is that articulated, Mason Bogie style, neat looking engine looks like something that would pull 3 or 4 commuter cars

I’m not sure that name applies as a rule, but it could because the trailing truck floats vs being yoked. They were used in Commuter service

This is my favorite;

So, new for less than $100 definitely is the Heartland (HLW) Mack.

http://www.h-l-w.com/mighty-mack.html

2 years ago HLW sold the Purple Mack for $35 and $15 to ship. Second loco cost $.75 extra to ship. So, I own 2 for the cost of $85.75.

Check out the online hobby shops like RLD hobbies.

Good, cheap, small, pick any two of the three !

John Caughey said:

Bill Barnwell said:

I’m not sure that name applies as a rule, but it could because the trailing truck floats vs being yoked. They were used in Commuter service

This is my favorite;

I guess not as there are support rods from the smoke box down to the front bolster, can you explain floats as apposed to yoked?

Well Bill, I was trying to fit your concept to to the loco. The Trailing truck, under the fuel supply could be kingpin located vs. the yoke of a 2 wheel trailing truck attached forward to the frame.

No the loco is not articulated.

Another note: The OP mentioned the Mack in the OP, that’s why we didn’t mention it.

John Caughey said:

Well Bill, I was trying to fit your concept to to the loco. The Trailing truck, under the fuel supply could be kingpin located vs. the yoke of a 2 wheel trailing truck attached forward to the frame.

No the loco is not articulated.

Another note: The OP mentioned the Mack in the OP, that’s why we didn’t mention it.

must have been a little over hang in the curves, thanks for the explanation

Joe,

I have been following your hunt across several threads. Out of curiosity, are you looking for a “sacrificial anode for the kids” or “cheap base for a project?” I have been wrestling with those issues myself over the last couple years as I brought my 1980-s vintage LGB back to life for our garden railroad project. We tried a number of approaches to get the kids involved, and, were I to do it over, I’d get a used LGB Stainz based on cost (<$100) and parts availability (new and used). I didn’t trust the used market, and I was ignorant of the parts market, and in the end it was money lost for Clan Mueller. In the same vein, as these folks here have gotten me curious about kitbashing, it has taken me 2 years to get back to where I should’ve been when I started pestering Bill about repowering one of my relics. Had I got a battered Stainz then, the old fellow would be out and running and I’d have a trove of spare parts.

Aloha,

Eric

Bachmann Lil Big Haulers can still be got for well under $100, I just got one on Ebay for $25.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Vic, I have not taken my locos apart yet, do the axles ride in bearings or just slots in the sideframes?