Large Scale Central

Opinions on LGB Battery Sets (1980 or 2013)

Hello all,

For those of you who have owned an LGB battery powered set, whether it be from the 1980s or 2013, What are your thoughts about it?

I realize these sets were intended as toys and in no way designed to be legitimate model trains.

Joe Loll said:

Hello all,

For those of you who have owned an LGB battery set, whether it be from the 1980s or 2013, What are your thoughts about it?

I realize these sets were intended as toys and in no way designed to be legitimate model trains.

Are you asking a battery set

Or a set with batteries See the source image

I meant to say “LGB Battery Powered Set”

The first post has been edited to reflect this.

ore car

controller

Got one from 2017 it was a Christmas set that was discounted at Marshalls for less than $90.00 ran it at Christmas time with about 25’ of track and a couple of switches for the grand kids. Seem to run good the controller were a little tricky but worked ok, sound was great and pulled 7 of the small 2 axle cars with no problems, you know the kids now days are not interested in any thing except phones and I pads so I sold the track some of the cars and still have the engine to sell, might keep it to pull a track cleaning car but haven’t tried it yet, Bill

passenger carengine

Joe,

I concur with Bill. We had much the same experience with a 2015-ish set. We did use it weekly on our little garden RR until the controller and sound card pooped out. The little thing is shelf bound until I rip the sound card and IR receiver out and replace it with a DPDT switch I. At $90 or leaa, it is a steal for a few laps around the Christmas tree each year. If a set showed up locally at that price I’d probably swing on it for the parts, but I wouldn’t order a new one at full retail. Were I to order something new, I’d get the battery powered PIKO Clean Machine (We also have this unit.). It is a heavier unit, looks better, and runs better.

For what it is worth, I am trying to breathe life into a 1970-s version of this loco. It shares no common parts in its power train with thee “real” track powered version of this locomotive, which has utterly stymied this effort.

Eric