Large Scale Central

Piko american steam sound

Does anyone know the difference between Piko’s # 36220 and 36221 sound units and does either have adjustments for speed of chuff adjustments?

Bill

These two links may give you some idea:

Piko 36220

Piko 36221

Tom

I looked at both manuals, no chuff input.

These decoders are made by SoundTraxx, and so far, the following has been true for EVERY SoundTraxx OEM decoders: the chuff input on the original retail product has had the chuff input deleted.

Greg

Hi Bill, according to the Piko catalog, the 36221 is a analog steam sound used on regular DC track power. The 36220 is a DC/DCC sound system used with a DCC decoder. It states the sounds change in multiple steps based on track voltage. It also states that steam locos equipped with a Hall sensor can be used to synchronizes the chuff sound with the rotation of the wheels. You must use a DCC decoder.

Massoth make the Hall sensor to fit LGB engines.

For more info I would call Jonathan at Piko to ask about adding the Hall sensor to your engine.

Don

Don, where did you find documentation that shows the chuff input for either of these decoders?

I found the manuals with the pinouts/wiring diagram, and no input for chuff.

The statement that says “steam locos equipped with a Hall sensor can be used to synchronizes the chuff sound with the rotation of the wheels” can be true too, but the question was these specific decoders.

Can you please provide links to manuals or documents that show a chuff input on either of the 2 mentioned decoders?

Greg