Large Scale Central

Howe Truss Lift Bridge

So last summer I built a Howe Truss which was the preferred design of the Coeur d’Alene Railway and Navigation Co. to cross the Coeur d’Alene River. So since I needed a bridge that was not permanent I felt this was a good option for the lift bridge I needed. Last summer I got it made then two surgeries ended my summer. So I got around to getting it installed today after work.

After some suggestions on making the hinge I a came up with this design and it works well

And Finally to land the bridge I used to blocks to center it and a couple screws to set the height.

Finally a gate latch not shown holds it in the open position.

Oh yeah I forgot I got a few buildings from Chuck Inlow’s wife. So the ones that needed assembled got assembled and then they got put on the layout. Probably not their permanent locations. As you can see I still have spring clean up to do.

Great job on the Howe Truss, Devon. I really like that style of bridge. Because my memory sucks, I can’t remember if you are using powered rails ore battery? If powered rails, how are you making the connections at the bridge? Glad to see you are feeling better and getting some work done on the RR.

Good to see you back at it Devon. Nice job on the bridge. Doesn’t it feel good to have some buildings, even if not in their final spot?

I thought Devon was a battery guy.

Dan Hilyer said:

Great job on the Howe Truss, Devon. I really like that style of bridge. Because my memory sucks, I can’t remember if you are using powered rails ore battery? If powered rails, how are you making the connections at the bridge? Glad to see you are feeling better and getting some work done on the RR.

Battery.

Great to see you get your bridge in operation and to see that you're able to get back to railroading Devon.

Dan Hilyer said:

Finish the Oven …

Devon has a good exscuse…It’s great seeing him out on the layout !!

Sean,

Well actually we did not SEE HIM out on his railroad. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

OMG now I have to take selfies to prove I was out there??? You guys are relentless!!!

It’s all good natured fun. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Dan Hilyer said:

Finish the Oven …

Devon has a good exscuse…It’s great seeing him out on the layout !!

Oven, what oven …

Joe Zullo said:

It’s all good natured fun. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Its what keeps me coming back. When you stop then I will KNOW you don’t like me any more (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

OMG now I have to take selfies to prove I was out there??? You guys are relentless!!!

More relentless than ever! I heard they wanted video of your surgeon and his stick stirring up your innards…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Looks great. I bet it feels really good to be doing things out on the railroad. Looking forward to more good news!

Devon Sinsley said:

Nope…but I would like to see more of the RR as it’s looking great! They may be scattered all around but these recent pics show a lot I have not seen .

Devon Sinsley said:

Well I for one would love to see a video of a certain loco that was bragged on before it was finished, er was it ever?

I tease because it’s all I can do after my 12th dose of Chemo…

Agape my other brother.

" Rooster " said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Nope…but I would like to see more of the RR as it’s looking great! They may be scattered all around but these recent pics show a lot I have not seen .

Sean has been on my case to do a final build article and I really need to. Much like my brain the railroad progress updates are scattered.

John Caughey said:

Devon Sinsley said:

Well I for one would love to see a video of a certain loco that was bragged on before it was finished, er was it ever?

I tease because it’s all I can do after my 12th dose of Chemo…

Agape my other brother.

I officially declare the loco DOA. As a first attempt at anything like it I learned a lot but I just don’t think I will ever get it to run right. Just to much slop in the drive train to get the wheels to stay close to quartered. So I will take what I learned and build an entirely new one. This one will be a shelf queen. It sure is pretty. I was admiring it the other day.

Very nice, indeed! Sometimes, you don’t need it to actually run - I guess? Anyway, very nice work, and happy to see you posting…