Large Scale Central

Another source for western red cedar

After the demise of Northwest Precision Lumber, I’ve been gradually building up my capabilities of ripping scale lumber, mainly using eastern cedar from Michael… the guy who shows up at train shows… Sorry, I’ve no contact info, but he doesn’t do mail order.

Anyway, I was glad to see another source for western red cedar, which is darker, and maybe tighter-grained. Here’s his “store”,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/smokeysjoe/m.html?_nkw=

I was short of larger cedar that I could rip down to 3/8 x 11/16. So yesterday (Friday) I asked this seller (Jim). He replied with an ebay offer this morning, $14 for 8 feet of the size I need, includes shipping. Went out today, and I’ll get it Wednesday. I call that service!

When I receive the wood, I’ll post on its accuracy, grain, finish, etc.

===>Cliffy

Old growth redwood from Williamsport PA ( google is your friend) . I was lucky enough to stumble upon and trade a 30 pack of high test Budweiser for the material back in the day in the hood.

What are you after Cliff ?

Rooster,

How is it possible that old growth Redwood can come from PA.?

Odd ball stuff can secretly be found in the hidden hollows, and valleys of back woods PA…?

Also; for strip wood, look to “Mt.Albert Scale Lumber” [email protected]

" Rooster " said:

Old growth redwood from Williamsport PA ( google is your friend) . I was lucky enough to stumble upon and trade a 30 pack of high test Budweiser for the material back in the day in the hood.

What are you after Cliff ?

Sweet deal! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)Yeah, redwood’s hard to get too… But Hollywood indicated that western red can be gotten in PA, so a little road trip to obtain a stockpile seems to be in order – especially for when I finally get to trestle building.

But for pre-cut stuff, my main point is that it looks like there might be a replacement to Northwest Precision Lumber. A few times, I sent them a lumber list, and how much, and they’d make it up and send it. Super convenient, great prices.

Rick Marty said:

Rooster,

How is it possible that old growth Redwood can come from PA.?

I have a very large Dawn redwood in my back yard?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susquehanna_Boom

I have several pieces some old growth California redwood available for sale.

Most are around your dimensions except they are about 1/2" x 3/4" x 5-6 feet long. Approx.

Would like to find a good home.

Probably around 20 pieces.

Price $5.00 a piece. Can cut them to smaller lengths for shipment.

If interested please PM me.

Dennis

We can buy Western Red Cedar in lumber yards here in CT. For work we buy what they call STK grade - Sound Tight Knots. I collect the drops and at the moment I probably have more supply than I can ever cut up in my lifetime. I’ve also saved pieces of old wooden carved signs. They were made from Cedar or Redwood. No idea if it’s old growth, but what I have is very tight grained. I will be setting up the saw to mill trestle timbers later this spring. I’ll share some pictures then.

That is the same guy that used to sell on eBay. He went on a hiatus and then restarted under a different user name.

John, that what I was wondering, the pics sure look the same, and the first name (Jim) is the same. So thanks for the confirmation, that’s good news.

Hollywood found a lumber yard near me that lists western red cedar boards. Never been there, have to check it out.

I emailed this “new” seller a couple days ago to get the story, and heard back from him today. Like John said, this is the same gentleman (Jim Warren) who, with his wife, ran Northwest Precision Lumber, which shut down a couple years ago.

Jim said he wasn’t planning on getting all his former offerings up again, just some here and there. Apparently there’s a medical issue, and he can only put limited time into this.

Cliff

[edit] It’s Tuesday, and I just got the bundle. These sticks are cut to custom dimensions, and I only ordered them Friday! That’s dang good service.