Large Scale Central

Multiple level track plan suggestions

I am after some/any suggestions on how to make a multi level layout in an area of 6Metres (19.5 Ft) x4.5Metres 14.5 FT).

I would like to have sidings where I can store made up train consists (preferably drive in drive out).

I have marked out 2 through loops but as there is a curve at one end if I go inside the loops the radii become to tight. The loop radius for both tracks is 1.25 Metres (4 Foot).

As I have 11 locos my grand plan is to have 11 consists hence the multi level idea.

There is a mezzanine level above just under half the size of the proposed layout but it is well above head height.

Entry and exit will be via a single track running off the through loops and up to the storage area but that is not a hard and fast rule.

Any help suggestions greatly appreciated.

Graeme,

By your post title, are you considering a true multiple-level layout? If so, maybe you can only do 2 or (maybe) 3 levels to have the vertical space and reach opportunity. Or are you doing multiple levels of storage only, tight against the walls, on two or three walls of the building?

I recall someone who made a G-gauge vertical track “switch” that took an entire consist to one shelving level or another. If you did that sort of thing, you could get away from a helix (which takes so much room, and is tough to walk in/out of).

Can’t recall where I saw that G-gauge version, and can’t find it. Maybe someone else can post it. But FWIW, several small-scale versions pop up with a search on “model train storage elevator”, e.g.,

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/35678

(on the bottom pic, if you right-click and view in a new tab, you can see the hoist cables to the right)

Looking up articles on garage storage hoists might be relevant as well, for approaches to hoist, rigging, counterweighting, structure, etc.

Cliff

Greg Elmassion?(sp) showed that rig Cliff(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif) I believe

Thanks Hollywood, good catch! And thanks Greg for posting it, that Switchcrafters design is the one I had in mind.

Train storage elevator

I also like the video at the end of the page, shows another DIY approach. Fun stuff.

Graeme Price said:

I am after some/any suggestions on how to make a multi level layout in an area of 6Metres (19.5 Ft) x4.5Metres 14.5 FT).

well, my suggestion would be, better not to try it.

during the last ten years i am building (in my high speed modus) a two leveled layout. lower level at 75 cm, upper level at 140 cm. (29.5" and 55")

the transition between the levels is 13 meters long. (at 5.5 to 6% inclination)

interesting is the “streetlevel view” at the upper level. but one has to bow to see more than 1 metre depth of the lower level. (the upside, one gets away with shabby backgrounds)

the transition tracks:

Still great work, Korm. And good points.

Looking up articles on garage storage hoists might be relevant as well, for approaches to hoist, rigging, counterweighting, structure, etc.

If you are trying to find vertical storage space, then also look at boat lifts - the small kayak lifts will handle a few shelves of trains. Jet ski lifts can support much more and come with electric motors, auto-stop, etc.