Forum Sponsorsss

Forums General General Discussion
  • Topic: Contemplating a switch in scale

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 28, 2019 8:24 PM EDT
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

Thank you to everyone that contributed to the thread. It has been very informative, and I have learned a great deal. I believe you all will be seeing some of my 1:24 scale endeavors in the future. 

• April 15, 2019 7:50 PM EDT
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

Hate to bring this up again   , but I have had a change in plan. After I did more extensive looking into 1:24 scale, I found there was a lack of more modern narrow gauge equipment (not that narrow gauge equipment was usually new). While the 1880's was a neat time period for narrow gauge, I prefer the 1930's-1950's. So, it would seem that there is more modern equipment available in 1:22.5 scale. Before, I had cast off this scale as not having the fidelity I was looking for. In reality, the scale fidelity between 1:22 and 1:24 is about the same. The scale fidelity of every piece of equipment, regardless of scale, seems to vary. Another factor driving this decision was LGB's D&RGW diesel #50, which is one of my favorite locos of all time. In making this choice, I will have to give up a wide variety of autos, and the simplicity of converting plans to 1:24 (although a scale ruler will make this easier). I am willing to accept these shortcomings, and I think most of the U.S. equipment available in 1:22 will fulfill my wishes. I look forward to building and acquiring items in this "new" scale. 

Edit: The other thing I forgot to mention is track gauge. Instead of modeling 42" gauge in 1:24, the gauge in 1:22 roughly works out to 40" gauge. Not completely accurate, but close enough to 42" gauge for me.

This post was edited by Joe Loll at April 15, 2019 8:15 PM EDT
    • April 15, 2019 8:38 PM EDT
      • Shut Up Rooster

• Thanks

So, many of the benefits of 1:24 are not in 1:22... so is 1:22 going to be enough smaller to make it worthwhile?

You began the thread by saying 1:20.3 was too big..

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• April 15, 2019 11:14 PM EDT
      • Denver, Colorado

• Thanks

Joe Loll said:

....In making this choice, I will have to give up a wide variety of autos, and the simplicity of converting plans to 1:24 (although a scale ruler will make this easier). .....

I don't think you have to give up your 1:24 autos; they'll work just fine with 1:22. Hell, most of the "1:24" diecast cars are a little bigger, or smaller, than 1:24 anyway.

• April 16, 2019 1:52 AM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

Joe, realize that much of the "modern" 1:22.5 stuff is a little fudged for scale. Take LGB's White Pass diesel and Uintah mallet. Both are ridiculously undersized compared to their prototypes. Both prototypes pushed over 10' wide; the LGB models are barely 4.5" wide, so in terms of scale, they come in closer to 1:26 in some dimensions. On the flip side, you have LGB's Porter and Forney which are closer to 1:19. That's LGB's "one size fits all" strategy at work. 

Later,

K

• April 16, 2019 7:15 AM EDT
      • Eastern Massachusetts

• Thanks

Note that LGB always said they make toys!!

• April 16, 2019 9:56 AM EDT
      • Columbia, Maryland

• Thanks

Thank y'all for all the good feedback. 

Greg, Yeah, I still think 1:22 is small enough for me. It will still fit in with other's 1:29-1:22 scale trains. Ii is small enough not to feel oversize like 20.3, particularly if you like smaller engines and cars like myself.

John, while others use 1:24 scale autos with 1:22, I am trying to have a true to scale layout, so I will use as many things in 1:22 as I possibly can. The only 1:22 scale cars I have found thus far are the Hubley Packard, the Ertl Bantam, and the Bburbago Rolls Royce. 

Kevin, I realize most LGB is not exactly 1:22. But if I remember correctly, the mogul and the Davenport are about accurate in 1:22. Bachmann also makes a couple more accurately scaled locos. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most of the LGB rolling stock is about 1:22, though probably shortened somewhat. I don't mind if the cars are a little short.

Dan, that is a fair point. Considering the fact that LGB was derived from a toy manufacturer, it makes perfect sense!

Yes, there are some significant aspects that I loose in 1:22, but the equipment I like just doesn't seem to all be there. The majority of 1:24 scale stuff is mostly late 1800's stock (i.e., Hartland steamers and rolling stock, Aristo C-16 and rolling stock, Lionel 0-6-0). The modern equipment in 1:24 can be counted on one hand: Piko 25 ton, Hartland Mack, MDC Big Hustler, Aristo C-16, MDC/Piko caboose. So while there are a couple pieces of modern stock in 1:24, it would seem better suited to someone interested in modeling the 1800's. While there are critters in 1:24 as I had wanted, there is a definite lack of small steam loco's like 0-4-0's, and the more modern steam I was looking for was hard to come by. In 1:22 scale, there is the LGB mogul, the infamous Annie, the Lyn, and the #50. I am not a fan of Bachmann's rolling stock, but the LGB rolling stock looks pretty good for the most part, and USA trains has some stock in 1:22. I'm intending to use some small diesel locos from other scales to satisfy my need for critters, as industrial locos came in a wide variety of sizes. Lastly, although the gauge will be incorrect, it is only about 2" too narrow from 42" gauge, which isn't a big deal for me.

1:24 is a nice size and scale combo, but I'm really not a the point where I can scratch build things that I want and aren't available, and it would seem that 1:24 scale stock is harder to come by than other scales. 

This post was edited by Joe Loll at April 17, 2019 8:38 AM EDT
Forums General General Discussion

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google