Large Scale Central

airwire problem

I need some advice

I am installing a airwire drop in gp38-2. the front and rear lights have a two prong adapter but the airwire board is 4 prong for the rear and three for the front

I am guessing that my GP is an older version

Does anyone have a solution for this

my only thought is ordering replacement electronics from Charles Ro

thanks in advance

JKS

No, because the voltages are different between the 2 versions.

Greg

John I would contact Air Wire, when Al was there a number of years ago I had a problem with a drop in that I put in the new wiring at that time he told me not to change the wiring that he had a much cheaper fix.

cheers

Richard

You would have to change out the light boards and bulbs… you don’t want to do that.

Greg

thanks for the info

helpful as usual

JKS

John I found it Like said you don’t have to change the boards and wiring like I did, First Generation GP38 Light Hookup Kit Soldered together and covered with heatshrink tubing GP38 Drop-In Wire Colors May Vary Pin n u m bers are for the plu g Plu gs are polarized an d will only plu g in one way. 4 Ccon ductor Miniature Plu g 3 Con ductor Miniature Plu g Designed for use with first generation USA-Trains GP38-2 locomotives. The locomotive did not have a voltage regulator and used 18V incandescent lamps. This kit provides two matching plugs to the Drop-In sockets. The wires are then hooked up to the locomotive internal light boards as shown

cheers

Richard

Richard, I don’t see a link, did you mean to post one?

Greg

Along the lines of his questions , is there a LED conversion kit, or a constant lighting kit to keep the lights on bright instead of with track voltage?

this was the CVP respons

We offer an adapter cable for the GP38 Drop-In. Part number is GP38LITE

The Cost is $10 plus postage. It is a custom cable-made cable with plugs
that fit the GP38 Drop-In with about 18 inches of wire that connects to the
old style GP38 lighting boards.

Here is a link to the app note shows what you have to do to use the cable.

http://www.cvpusa.com/doc_center/r3a_nonstd_lightg_kit_4_GP38.pdf

CVP

Interesting, reading the instructions, you get a cable to connect, but I don’t see the changes to make the 18v bulbs work where the units are originally set up for LEDs…

Weird.

Greg

It does say that the lights are tied to motor polarity. So maybe the cable plus into a connector that is set up for bulbs, whereas the LED lighting board would connect to a different connector set up for LEDs.

the board is set up for full voltage and low voltage out side pin is full, center pin is around 4 volts if you look you will see the out side pin is being used.

cheers

Richard,