Large Scale Central

Double track Howe thru truss bridge

How wide should a double track bridge be?.. Will be working on a project later this year for a friend…

There are questions that would need to be answered first.

What scale/size equipment will pass through it ?

Will it be on a complete straight or will it be placed coming out of a turn (saying less than 2’ till a radii) ?

What is your friends on center track spacing ?

Travis, I had a new double track truss bridge last October. The bridge is made of 1/2" square tubing. I run Aristo-Craft and USA trains double stacks. The bridge is 17" wide outside, 14" tall outside and 52" long. My track centers are 8". I can send some pictures if you would like.

If it’s on a social pike where others will be invited to run their equipment, allow for the big stuff. I had to make instant adjustments when the late Chuck C brought his mallet to run on my old pike.

Ron Hill said:

Travis, I had a new double track truss bridge last October. The bridge is made of 1/2" square tubing. I run Aristo-Craft and USA trains double stacks. The bridge is 17" wide outside, 14" tall outside and 52" long. My track centers are 8". I can send some pictures if you would like.

Yes Ron, I would appreciate some pics if you have time…

" Rooster " said:

There are questions that would need to be answered first.

What scale/size equipment will pass through it ?

Will it be on a complete straight or will it be placed coming out of a turn (saying less than 2’ till a radii) ?

What is your friends on center track spacing ?

He runs Aristo and USA stuff… would be a straight shot on his railroad…

I just went out and measured this one. Inside width is 12.5" and inside height is 12" to the top of the 1/2" steel crossbeams. The front gussets come down about 1" in the middle and the 45’ed pieces about 2". I can’t measure my track centers because they are buried in snow but I think they are 6.5" on center. It clears my superliners and viewliners so those specs work for my RR.

The redwood ties are ripped to 1/2" square (I think) and as you can see are spaced so the aristo track drops and floats in between them (screws are removed on the aristo ties underneath)

Mine is just over 9" from top of rail toend cross brace, 11.5" wide and right about 6 3/4" rail center to center as you can see a double stack intermodal clears it and thats the tallest car I have

I gave a little more center clearance than side clearance. I will probably not run Intermodals with 2 containers, since I only have 2 so plenty of room for other cars

Travis, send an email address to [email protected]. Thanks.