Large Scale Central

New 2019 variants of the Piko 25 Tonner

While browsing around online, I came across a German train store, elriwa. I noticed that they have listed new versions of the Piko 25 tonner. In particular, all of the new variants listed, except for the train set, appear to be battery and radio controlled. Even the new version of the track cleaner appears to be r/c.

https://www.elriwa.de/search?sSearch=piko%20ge%2025&c=818&p=1

you mean these? they have possibilities! what is the street price?

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2560/for%20sale%20items/piko.JPG)

Yeah, I see the words: "The popular GE 25-ton now also with R / C remote control. Every locomotive comes with a transmitter. "

no pictures though… interesting… I guess the battery powered unit with no control was not enough (I would agree)…

If you pull up the pdf datasheet, some more info is revealed:

Model Railway Shop elriwa, New 2019 - Piko 38506 -

Diesel locomotive GE 25-ton, track cleaning locomotive, Ep.III-VI, battery operation G gauge 4015615385066

Diesel locomotive GE 25-tone track cleaning locomotive R / C for battery operation

The popular GE 25-tone now also with R / C remote control. Every locomotive comes with a transmitter. The associated receiver is integrated for uncomplicated control of the locomotive ex works. A total of 10 radio channels are available, so that several locomotives can run in parallel. Highlights: Jerk-free switching of the speeds. Range over 20 meters.

Greg

The plain jane battery powered unit is good for a simple, easy to set on the track and let loose on your railroad assuming you have some sort of oval or dogbone loop. This appeals to me, and I know of particular situations where this loco would fit that bill well, but I also realize that other times full r/c is the only way to go. Personally, I only see the track cleaning loco as battery only, as it is plopped on the track and let to run and clean the track, so not sure why they would go to the expense of full r/c with it. The new r/c system is unfortunate for people who like to use one particular brand of r/c, particularly if they stop offering the 25 tonner in a track powered version (that would be the wrong thing to do).

I did have a Mac converted to RC battery. They took up the entire cab. I imagine something similar would be the case here.

1. they still sell the track powered unit

2. the cleaning ones were ALWAYS battery, so you get the R/C system free

3. It’s clearly an inexpensive system with short range and a fixed number of channels, probably added $3 to the cost at most (note how cheap an R/C toy car can be)

Greg

Ok so who will be the first one here, to get one , and give us a report?

It will probably come onto the market late this year, like the track powered versions did last year. Greg, you make excellent points. I would think Piko would continue to produce more track powered versions as well, but I had doubts for some reason. We really don’t know how much the r/c system is, or how much the r/c locos will be until they are released. I would agree that it appears to be lower cost. I would doubt that it has sound capability. Whatever the cost, Piko is also hoping to sell the r/c system separately.

Tim:

Have any details that you can share with your Mack conversion? I have one and can only figure out how to use a trailing car as the Mack is rather small and not much available interior space.

Thanks.

The price of the new battery powered units that include the R/C control is the same as the initial price for the battery operated track cleaning versions that did not have R/C

Simpler way: the new version of the track cleaning loco includes R/C for no extra cost.

Confirmed on G Scale Mad forum.

There’s plenty of room inside to support a small R/C board.

Greg