Large Scale Central

repurpose old pola buildings

coaling tower

hotel

wells fargosand houseBarn's texacoWhat can you do with old pola and other buildings that didn’t quite survive a hurricane? Well I had a Wells Fargo building that was in about 7 pieces, no walls left standing and broken, missing detail parts, etc. Used the railing to put one on the hotel, which use to be Johnson hardware, used walls to make the Barn’s Texaco, sand house, and building under the coaling tower, roof went to Barn’s Texaco, front doors as well for the shop entrance, the top detail front part also went there to support the 2 “red” stars. Roofs for the sand house and coaling tower underbuilding came from pretty much destroyed scankit engine house. Found that the Pola buildings to be very adaptable and easy to gut with table saw or circular saw. Plastics glued very well with Model Masters plastic glue and mixing it with cut pieces to create patching material. So out of 1 pola building I came up with 4 very different style unique buildings, all constructed with the “motto out of site out of mind”

Bill, they look really good!

Joe Zullo said:

Bill, they look really good! thanks Joe

Great idea! Next thing is you will probably remodel some that aren’t damaged. Something different than all the other Pola buildings out there.

GLX Scale models has reproduced some “Under-the-eves-brackets” for the Pola station, in case anyone is interested…I needed some to replace broken, or missing ones. I couldn’t find any place to purchase replacement parts for Pola buildings…so I asked GLX to produce some for me.

I also found that lacquer thinner works well for “Welding” parts of the station back together…no need for thick goo type glues…or uhu.