Large Scale Central

The Bank of Barnwell

lights on

dormer detail

The Bank of Barnwell
Friend of my wife’s gave her a old birdhouse thinking maybe I could use it with my trains, it was made of composite wood and pretty much shot, but it had a nice and unusual style. I had some left over Pola building parts ( same ones I’ve been using for several years ) that were damaged by hurricanes in 2004. I’ve built a sanding house, coaling tower, gas station, and water tower from some of the pieces, but the supply is getting low. This particular building was made from the front of a Pola bank building, the back also came from the same building , the 2 sides I think were from sheriff’s office. roof was from old scankit engine house, and dormer detail was from Grandt line detail parts and used with a slight modification. Support timbers for front porch were from PVC lumber originally ripped for water tank that I did. Building is lite with a $.98 patio solar powered light from Wal-Mart, you can see it in the picture of the back of the building. Being as it’s main components came from a bank and the birdhouse had a stately look I named it the Bank of Barnwell. Growing up my mother would always convince myself and sister that it was best to secure our money in her bank where she would take care of it and save it for us. We could have it back at any time we wanted for a good reason. Only problem we never seemed to have a reason good enough. As I got older I started calling it the bank of Hotel California, where your money checked it but never checked out, but when I finally moved out on my own I had enough money to make my live easer from the start, all due to the “Bank of Barnwell”. both buildingsfrontlights on

Nice build and I like the story Bill.

Nice work Bill(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Are hundreds, maybe thousands, of small towns it would be right at home in.

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

Nice build and I like the story Bill.

Thanks, Bill

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Nice work Bill(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Thanks, Bill

Very nice Bill. I love the gable details…

Many New Haven stations in my area have details like that and I’ve always wanted to duplicate it somehow. Short of laser cutting I’ve been stumped at how to do it. Did that come from Pola parts?

No as stated in the text they were grant line products they come at 90 degree angle so that one got a little trimming done on it, thanks, Bill