Large Scale Central

7/8 heavy diesel for the ER&I

Back in the day, when I built 1:20.3 rolling stock, I used to sorta count rivets and make sure everything was more or less correct.

Now I’m doing 7/8 and I find it much more fun and interesting. Nothing is out of bounds. Whimsey–Heck yeah it is!

I had an old USA SW B unit in my junk box and went to work.

Did you have a pic of one like this to work from ?

That looks great!

Sean, I scoured the interweb for all the 2 foot gauge stuff I could find. I found a prototype for practically everything. A lot of 2 foot gauge equipment was built in house and is one of a kind.

The ER&! did the same. :slight_smile: All my builds are based on “There is prolly one somewhere like this out there”

A comment …give it a grimy wash … looks a little too grey .

Already did.

A friend (Another 7/8 modeler) asked what color you going to paint it.

I said I didn’t know yet.

He said how about Baby Blue and I said “Done!”

Freshly painted, right out of the shop.

That looks fantastic, John… Great job… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I remember when 7/8ths scale cars were first show in the Garden Railways magazine. The first was a flat car that caught my interest. Two months later it was a low-sided gondola. Basically the flat car with low walls added. I was tempted, but as there was no motive power available at that time, I held off. Two months later it was high sided gondola. I could not resist any longer. The assembled car advertised was expensive, so I bought a US$69 dollar kit from Hartford for Christmas. By the time it reached my door the postage, currency exchange, Provincial and Federal Sales Taxes made it a CAN$140 kit.

It was fun to build and weather. It had working brakes, but after a turning the brake wheel a few times the fine chains pulled free from the frame. They were replaced with brass rods to hang the brake shoe assemblies. I thought about making my own cars, but the necessary wheels and metal details cost more than the kit. The car sat around for a while and ended up a candy dish. Over time the top of the boards looked very realistic, as one of cats found them tasty to chew on. It was then emptied and placed on a shelf where it gathered years of dust.

I thought about making motive power to haul it by kit bashing a Bachmann side-rod diesel I bought for $60, but never got around to it. Eventually I gave it to Bob when he expressed an interest in 78ths scale. My way of thanking him for all he does for us here in his living room.

Looks better painted, I’m glad you toned down the rust.

Nice little big stuff.

Paul, I’ve built all my 7/8 stuff. The locos were donors that I had no use for, or already had started taking parts off of them. Several old LGB 2 axle Euro cars were used for the first builds, using

only the frame and pedestals. Then I started using cast pedestals and making my own frames. I didn’t particularly invest in brakes or other stuff underneath. I built them to have fun with and run.

I love the “whimsey” effect of 7/8. Plus its big and easier to work on. After showing some of my builds at a club meeting, I have 3 members building some 7/8 equipment, just for fun.

John Bouck said:

Paul, I’ve built all my 7/8 stuff. The locos were donors that I had no use for, or already had started taking parts off of them. Several old LGB 2 axle Euro cars were used for the first builds, using only the frame and pedestals. Then I started using cast pedestals and making my own frames. I didn’t particularly invest in brakes or other stuff underneath. I built them to have fun with and run.

I love the “whimsey” effect of 7/8. Plus its big and easier to work on. After showing some of my builds at a club meeting, I have 3 members building some 7/8 equipment, just for fun.

I was interested in 7/8ths scale because a large pool and patio in the backyard of a previous home did not leave room for a serious large scale layout. Like you I felt the whimsical style of the small rolling stock with antiquated details left a lot of room for artistic modeling. Except for the inexpensive Bachmann side-rod diesel, I never thought of kit bashing LGB 2-axle European cars. Although they were very expensive at the time.

Instead 100 feet of tables were built in the basement of that home for a large scale railway so I could play during our long winters. I already had all the motive power and rolling stock that I used at Fred’s. But over the years all but 30 feet of the tables were removed to provide space for other needs. That remaining 30 feet was later used to built an On3 railway which was dismantled when we moved to a smaller home.

Now that I am retired I spend my winters working on battery power, radio control and sound projects. Although I have 7 days a week to do so, for some strange reason it now takes 3 times as long as it use to. I guess it has something to do with the aging process and 27 years in the hobby.