Large Scale Central

Custom Extended Vista Dome Cars

I just completed a fun project for a customer. Converting G scale Aristocraft Streamline Passenger Cars to Extended Vistadome Cars. This project took weeks of intricate detail work, but it paid off! We also suprised our customer and installed LED lighting and seating for his passengers.
No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

Nicely done, Nico!

I agree; excellent job.

Well done Nico! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Will look grand on a night train.

What they all said… Some great looking domes… Nice… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Nice work !

no dents, no scratches, no crooked cuts… looks like factory made!

Nico

Question are you going to make them into kits for sale

Wayne Jardine said:

Nico

sure, how many would you like?

Ditto! On all the great job comments.

If it is not a national security issue how about a short review on how you made them?

Step 1: 3D print extended vistadome

step 2: cut large hole in roof of streamline passenger car.

step 3: glue in green transparent film.

step 4: create a tray and install seats I used seat from a Bachmann passenger car.

step 4: wire in New led lights.

Wow, very nice.

Well done, nicely executed and interesting project too Nico!

Can you share more on the 3D print aspect of your project. Is the vistadome multiple pieces as its length is notable? What kind of printer was utilized, SLA, Resin or PLA / string filament?

Michael

Domes were printed in 2 pieces and then assembled.

I used a Stratasys, FDM printer, Parts were printed out of ABS material.

Modeling of the parts were done in Pro-E.

Pretty neat job. Do you plan to sell 3-D prints of the dome parts?

Nico,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the printing. How long are the prints? My interest is in regard to printable length as I have noted Shapeways and others suggest 100mm (4") and longer can be problematic with such design/shapes. So at this juncture I have steered clear of taller prints with that in mind. Was this a vertical print, i.e.; printed from center to end cap (lengthwise) or horizontally from the roof deck to highest point or dome center line (perhaps as an end cross section makes more sense)?

Michael

Michael Glavin said:

Nico,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the printing. How long are the prints? My interest is in regard to printable length as I have noted Shapeways and others suggest 100mm (4") and longer can be problematic with such design/shapes. So at this juncture I have steered clear of taller prints with that in mind. Was this a vertical print, i.e.; printed from center to end cap (lengthwise) or horizontally from the roof deck to highest point or dome center line (perhaps as an end cross section makes more sense)?

Michael

Michael,

it was printed vertically, with the window end down and the connection point up. The length of the print is approximately 10 inches.

nico

Nico Corbo said:

Wayne Jardine said:

Nico

sure, how many would you like?

Would like to purchase a few myself to play with Nico. Don’t give away too many secrets as you are a business man now and business is business and free is free …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Will be in contact and once again excellent work!

play with Nico.

Sorry Rooster I don’t go that way