Large Scale Central

Yay! Made progress on a couple HLW Mack bashes.

Yay! Made progress on a couple HLW Mack bashes.

As you might remember, my body has been being difficult to get along with and my hands are having a return of previous difficulties.

After doing not much of anything since May or June had to do something for my sanity!!!

So, loaded up on pain meds, shoved the clutter aside, blew off the dust, and during course of last few days made progress on these in nibbles and bits.

Still haven’t designed a body for the grey frame one.

(Note: grey primer is that Duplicolor filler primer mentioned in Richard’s Paint and LGB plastic thread)

On it, added bolts for retaining straps which keep axles in when lifted; and applied a spot of Bondo spot putty to where step recess waas filled with sheet styrene.

“Bolts” are bits of Plastruct hexagonal rod in holes.

On the boxcab the brass channel roof reinforcement was cut and added.

Extensions are for rounded addition to roof ends.

Existing HLW plastic will get covered with a sheet of something, either styrene sheet or maybe some really thin RC airplane plywood from Midwest, which has been lying around partly curled for a decade or so.

Brass channel was thicker than roof plastic so was shimmed to eventually be flush, hopefully, with first layer of roof overlay.

Some time back, inspired by details on someone’s ancient boxcab in pictures in a book by CERA, Central Electric Railfans’ Association, I bought some Birney roof vents from Phil at HLW.

Now, will be interesting to see what price I pay for doing this, all with hand tools!

And there are multiple more Mack bashes.

And four balsa boxcar builds.

And the …

And the …

And the HO stuff for club …

And my own On30 and Gn15 …

And …

And …

That is looking great Forrest. Definitely keep us updated on this and the pictures are appreciated.

Mike

Thanks Mke! Progress has been and probably is always going to be slow with gaps of months or entire seasons between times.

I agree you are making nice progress, as you can.

There should be plenty of sand.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Good thing you got the wheel straps on! Imagine my embarrassment when after working on the engine, I pulled a wheelie in the yard and dropped an axle!(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

John Caughey said:

There should be plenty of sand.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Speaking of sand - where the ‘sand boxes’ were built outside of cab ends, (which are ends of HLW’s Mack cab) the thought occurred that empty sheet styrene boxes could be kind of flimsy, might be good to stiffen them with something, hmm, what to use?
Ah!

Fill them with sand, really!

And harden it with thin super glue!

Nice ! I like it.

Looks good. Thanks for the tip on the Birney roof vents. I’m going to need them on a project soon to be arriving on my workbench.

Later,

K