Large Scale Central

USAT Heavyweights

Discussion on the USAT heavyweights has recently been a hot topic.

I did a Google search and found additional OEM literature and a video with close-ups of the USAT H/W’s (video author: Dakman Productions). Click on images for several factory cut sheets.

What say ya’ll?

Google search link: USAT Heavyweight search on Google

Google image link: USAT H/W image search

Michael

I ordered the set of 10 today, from RLD. Robby was sort of surprised they weren’t out sooner since they have been shown for about a year.

Funny the cut sheets are not on the USA Trains site, only Charles Ro.

I saw the fairplex video, but really not clear or stable enough to appreciate fine detail, but the proportions look great behind that Hudson.

I would like to see what couplers they are using.

Greg

Cleaned up a little:

Greg,

Did you look at the Dakman Production video? Much more revealing close-ups!

I have a couple of sets on pre-order, but realized a little while ago after finding a cut sheet suggesting the SP offering was in the Daylight paint scheme that I’ll be adjusting my order for the Daylight consist less two diners and coaches and such that were used on SP trains. SP had two 77’ diners and five RPO/baggage cars painted in the Daylight scheme. Any other Heavyweight with monitor and or clerestory roof in Daylight paint is a fantasy. I’ll substitute some of the SP Daylight cars pre-ordered for Sante Fe cars in Pullman green and re-letter them for SP. I did the same thing previously with the Aristo cars, the obvious drawback herein is SP cars were painted in a unique green known as SP dark olive green, close to Pullmans green but notably different when side by side comparisons are available. All of my USAT Daylight H/W’s will eventually have their roofs replaced with arch style roofs (less two diners) as was common for SP heavyweights in Daylight paint. I’ll pull my green H/W’s with an all black Pacific as was typical in the day. I am also working on completing an A6 4-4-2 to pull the Sacramento Daylight consist and a streamlined heavy Pacific to pull heavy Daylight trains pre GS loco’s. Both the A6 and heavy Pacific will be in Daylight paint.

I broached the idea that I hoped the Aristo and USAT H/W’s would play well together. Especially since USAT neglected to offer a Baggage, Baggage/RPO and RPO car.

Michael

I saw them in person at the ECLSTS. They are really nice looking cars. But since they are too large (in size and price) for my railroad, I didn’t study them in detail. Greg, I didn’t really see what couplers they used.

I’ll probably swing by Ro on Wed. I could take some close-up photos of one if that’s helpful.

http://www.usatrains.com/heavyweights.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqSwjUQHNlU&feature=youtu.be

I maybe in error on my assertion that the USAT H/W’s SP offering will be in Daylight paint, I realize now that the info suggesting same was a product survey see the following link. http://www.usatrains.com/productsurvey1.html Info released later suggests the SP offering will be in Pullman green, this is what I originally viewed and placed my order thereof. A phone call to Ro to confirm what will be provided is in order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHGLoUMrmT8 Dakman Productions video with close-ups and powered interior lighting.

Michael

Michael,

I did have a moment of concern when you mentioned Daylight colors on the S.P. I think they will be Pullman green with black roofs. They are going to look great behind my S.P. GS1 northern. Perfect match.

Dang, So much for the nit pickers. They’ll need to open the cars and repaint all the glossy clothing.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I spoke to a gal @ Charles Ro & Company today. She confirmed the SP cars were green and suggested the cars will be available in March 2019.

Michael

Eric Reuter said:

I’ll probably swing by Ro on Wed. I could take some close-up photos of one if that’s helpful.

Eric,

Do you have an Aristo Heavyweight you could carry along. Perhaps if you inquired a side by side comparison would be allowed.

Michael

Paul Burch said:

Michael,

I did have a moment of concern when you mentioned Daylight colors on the S.P. I think they will be Pullman green with black roofs. They are going to look great behind my S.P. GS1 northern. Perfect match.

Paul,

I agree your GS1 Northern will pull the Heavyweights with grandeur. Looking forward to seeing your train.

See my previous post, the SP cars will be Pullman green.

Michael

I was just looking at the Charlie Ro website regarding the heavyweights. They are now showing 4-16-2019 for some roadnames and 5-16-2019 for others like S.P. Why am I skeptical ???

http://charlesro-com.3dcartstores.com/store_r32053.html

I dunno why you are skeptical. Maybe because of past experiences?

David Maynard said:

Now, be nice. They work off the information that the CHICOMS give them.

I e-mailed USA and they confirmed the April May dates. So, in their minds that is when they will arrive. I have cleared shelf storage space for them and my S.P. GS1 northern is ready to pull them.

Did anybody get a chance to make a side by side comparison to of the USAT HW to the Aristo HW? I’m hoping they will play well together.

Michael

Steve Featherkile said:

David Maynard said:

Now, be nice. They work off the information that the CHICOMS give them.

Steve, when my parts department tells me 2 days, I tell my customer maybe 3, but most likely 4 days. Customers are happy when I am running ahead of schedule, but they are unhappy when I am running behind schedule. Its all a matter of perception

Michael, my impression is that the USAT ones are either scale length, or closer to scale length then the Aristo ones were. In other words, the USAT ones appeared to be longer. But I didn’t have an Aristo one in my pocket to put beside the USAT ones to be certain.