Large Scale Central

More Animation Projects

Just finished up two more projects for the Santa fe & Butthead Cove R.R.

One is a Bachmann Baggage Car with Agent waving in doorway.

Using a 1-1/2 V. Batt for Motor and lighting.

Finish

Second one is a Bachmann Osb. with wife and waving Man on back end.

Using 9 V. Batt. for added LED’s interior lighting and lighted Drum board.

Also installed a On-Off-ON switch for the 1-1/2 V. Batt. that operates the Waving man and Marker lamps

These are fun and quick projects that kids love to watch on open houses.

Noel,

That looks really great and I would like to do something like that for the trains I run on our Club Module. So please tell me (and others) how you did that. I understand some electronics. It looks like you are using a servo to wave the hands, but what is driving the servos?

Colin

Colin Criswell said:

Noel,

That looks really great and I would like to do something like that for the trains I run on our Club Module. So please tell me (and others) how you did that. I understand some electronics. It looks like you are using a servo to wave the hands, but what is driving the servos?

Colin

Colin…

We are from the old school running Track power with blocks and using Aristo T/M R/C’s

We have done a lot of stuff with servo, Reeds and Mags. as in our Ho layouts… but outside with our trains guys and open houses, we like to just use Batt powered animation.

We usually try to go to Flea Markets and try to find old animated Doll, Old toys or maybe old camcorder for the motors and gears.

Most Toy animations run on 1-1/2 V or 9 V batt’s. So its the cheapest way to go. Then go to a Dollar stores for batt. Most of our stuff will run for hr.s.

On the Obs. car , we mounter a warm drive motor with a few gear, then added a larger gear to reduce the rod throw. They were smallest enough to mounted them to the side of a seat in the car and run the throw rod down the center of the floor to the back end. By painting motor/gears and rod same color as the interior, its is hard to see anything moving in the car.

The Baggage car…

You can see how that one was made up using a small cam motor/gears with 1-1/2 v. batt under the car. Then add a On and Off switch. Very simple and added a small grain of rice light. Neater are using much power and will run a long time by it self. We now have around 20 some items made up now that we put out on the layout with our train runs and open houses and sure get there attn.

Anyway… it fun to make these movements and if you don’t mind cutting off some arms, legs,and etc. Just about anything can be animated.

So Doc Noel Frankenstein is still at it.

do you have videos?

(and, no, i didn’t forget her. - got more frustrated intents behind me)

Korm Kormsen said:

So Doc Noel Frankenstein is still at it.

do you have videos?

Hey Korm…Haven’t had a chance to make a video yet, but will and post it on here just for you. lol.

(and, no, i didn’t forget her. - got more frustrated intents behind me)

I hope/think Korm is referring to this video on a Cow i animated, but I need a copy of his Milk maid that has big butt and boob milking a cow to go with this animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sFkNSOy3DA

Noel Wilson said:

Colin Criswell said:

Noel,

Colin

Colin…

We are from the old school running Track power with blocks and using Aristo T/M R/C’s

We have done a lot of stuff with servo, Reeds and Mags. as in our Ho layouts… but outside with our trains guys and open houses, we like to just use Batt powered animation.

We usually try to go to Flea Markets and try to find old animated Doll, Old toys or maybe old camcorder for the motors and gears.

Most Toy animations run on 1-1/2 V or 9 V batt’s. So its the cheapest way to go. Then go to a Dollar stores for batt. Most of our stuff will run for hr.s.

On the Obs. car , we mounter a warm drive motor with a few gear, then added a larger gear to reduce the rod throw. They were smallest enough to mounted them to the side of a seat in the car and run the throw rod down the center of the floor to the back end. By painting motor/gears and rod same color as the interior, its is hard to see anything moving in the car.

The Baggage car…

You can see how that one was made up using a small cam motor/gears with 1-1/2 v. batt under the car. Then add a On and Off switch. Very simple and added a small grain of rice light. Neater are using much power and will run a long time by it self. We now have around 20 some items made up now that we put out on the layout with our train runs and open houses and sure get there attn.

Anyway… it fun to make these movements and if you don’t mind cutting off some arms, legs,and etc. Just about anything can be animated.

Actually, I think I would mind cutting off an arm or a leg. I kinda wanna keep all of my original parts in their respective locations.

Noel,

Like Norm said, your still at it! Your animations always intrigue me. The cow animation is just one of many that cause and effect; how’d he do that…

Michael

Korm,

Here is the Video you ask for.

"Sure take a lot of hard time and play around to get it to show here,but found out and stretched it to see where it was at. "

Michael Glavin said:

Noel,

Like Norm said, your still at it! Your animations always intrigue me. The cow animation is just one of many that cause and effect; how’d he do that…

Michael

Michael…Long time no see. Still have some of your trains here and Geo, Joel, Elden and myself been playing with them off and on… I think someone wanted to paint an USA steam Eng. Purple. (hee hee)

Thank you Noel.

learned somethin new. instead of connecting with wire-loops, making wire-slots.

Sorry, but I still haven’t figure out how to post photos in remarks.

Having said that Marlin P Jones (type this in you search) has a wonderful DC mini gear head motor for animation. It runs on3-6VDC, is reversible, rated at 37 RPM @ 3VDC 30mA and 74 RPM @ 6VDC 40mA no load. All metal multi stage reduction open gear head for high reliability. Flat side shaft 3mm diameter X 7mm long. Solder terminals, 2 m1.4x0.3.

It is L: 1-3/8" W: 1/2" H: 7/16" Wt. .03. Price is $7.15 each.

This tiny motor has loads of torque and can fit under a passenger car seat with an eccentric. I have one under the seat in my Goose #6 and at 2 volts it does a great job of making the motorman wave.

Noel,

Thanks for the explanation and also the video. Now all I have to do is find some small motors and get my Dremel out. That is way cool how you did the animation.

Thanks, again.

Colin

Nice work Pap!

Jim Kottkamp said:

Sorry, but I still haven’t figure out how to post photos in remarks.

Having said that Marlin P Jones (type this in you search) has a wonderful DC mini gear head motor for animation. …

It is L: 1-3/8" W: 1/2" H: 7/16" Wt. .03. Price is $7.15 each.

for those, that are cheap, like myself, the motors out of rearview mirrors. they are nearly as small, run very slow, are forcefull and cost nothing.