Forums General Problem Solving
  • Topic: 23182 sound board not working

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 8, 2018 10:38 AM EDT
      • Ruidoso, NM

• Thanks

23182 sound board not working

I have a 23182 Mogul whose sound board does not funtion starting just this week. There is occasionaly a pssst pssst sound (two 'words') when loco is reversed from standing position. Otherwise no sound of any kind. All switches on loco and tender are in correct positions. Volume control set at maximum. Loco is running on track power.

How should I go about making an analysis of the problem? I have a multimeter and am a little bit familiar with very basic electricity.

Are replacement sound boards available anywhere?

This was my first LGB loco and have had it for 20 years. Hate to lose an old friend.

Roger Bush

Ruidoso  NM

• July 8, 2018 4:46 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

I would check the wiring going from the locomotive to the tender. The wires broke on mine, but the insulation was in tact, so the connector looked good. Once I repaired the connector I had sounds again.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• July 9, 2018 7:44 AM EDT
      • Eastern Massachusetts

• Thanks

Roger, it is most likely one of the 3 wires used for the chuff sensing on the cable between the engine and tender.  The 3 wires on the rightmost side of the ender are for chuff  (power, ground, signal)

the 3 left wires are 2 for track power and one for the rear light on coal tenders.

• July 9, 2018 9:09 PM EDT
      • Ruidoso, NM

• Thanks

Progress report:

(1) I have determined that the cable from the loco and its female connector are OK as well as the male connector on the tender.

(2) Regarding the volume control, I found there is a 'dead spot' when the volume control knob is set at maximum volume. Setting the control knob half way between max and min allows for 'sound' to be heard; BUT, the sound is horrible. Sounds like a blast of generic radio static noise. The horrible sound matches whistle start up sound timing as well as the chuff timing but isn't anything similar to normal sounds. I tried connecting the sound output to a different speaker - same terrible noise. A magnet well activate the reed switch module under the front tender axle; but, the whistle is just a blast of static. The bell is somewhat recognizable but definitely not any kind of bell you have ever heard!

So - any suggestions? Is there a sound generator microprocessor that may be bad?

Thanks for any help and comments.

Roger Bush

• July 10, 2018 5:50 PM EDT

• Thanks

If the POT (volume control) is bad, then why not just replace that? A bad POT could really mess up the sound it was supposed to control.

Shannon car Shops

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

• July 10, 2018 8:29 PM EDT
      • Ruidoso, NM

• Thanks

David:  I don't follow your logic path. A volume control controls volume of sound. It does not control quality, content or characteristics of sound.

• July 11, 2018 5:40 AM EDT

• Thanks

Ok. Replacing the POT may not solve the issue. But, I have seen where a damaged pot caused distortion to the sound, because the pot had an open in it and so it changed the characteristics of the amplifier circuit.

Supposedly Massoth sells the LGB boards, if you want to just replace the whole sound system.

Shannon car Shops

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

Forums General Problem Solving

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google