Large Scale Central

My First 3-D Print - Can You Tell What it Is???

This is my first attempt at 3-D printing. Can you tell what this is to be used for?

Quite obvious it is a widget to hold a doohickey

If it were flipped over I would say a table, or one of them things that keeps the box lid from touching the pizza. But with that orientation, it would be holder for something, like to keep a wood something separated from a concrete base.

battery or board stand/holder

It’s a scale table to serve scale Japanese businessmen scale sushi while they visit your RR?

I’m not about to pay $60 just to print a sushi table. This is practical…, and keep your thoughts clean. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

It’s a track cleaner attachment for AristoCraft FA/FB/streamliners/etc. Works to tighter than an LGB 8’ diameter (keeps pad on track). The sizing accomodates three pads per drywall pad.

The line pulled by this FA/FB passes under the waterfall and past the hot springs so continually gets wet leading to poor continuity. This is to keep this line clear.

Todd Brody said:

I’m not about to pay $60 just to print a sushi table. This is practical…, and keep your thoughts clean. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Todd, you printed this with a $60 printer?

No, $60 in materials. $49.90 for the media (4.99 cubic inches @ $10/cu in) and $10 for a tray. The tray can be recycled. It was printed on a Dimension Elite printer ($32K):

https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printers/dimension-elite

Todd Brody said:

No, $60 in materials. $49.90 for the media (4.99 cubic inches @ $10/cu in) and $10 for a tray. The tray can be recycled. It was printed on a Dimension Elite printer ($32K):

https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printers/dimension-elite

no way! That’s an FDM printer! Next time you want something printed let me know.

Dan Gilchrist said:

Todd Brody said:

Todd, you printed this with a $60 printer?

ROFL!

I think Dan is right, if you spent that much printing that you got screwed. Cool how it works, have you run it yet?

Something isn’t quite right. That printer is a Fused filament type (like mine) but the media price model (4.99 cubic inches @ $10/cu in) and $10 for a tray sounds more like a resin SLA/DLP printer. To me, the print looks like resin. Resin costs 4-6X more than ABS filament. That said, I estimate It would cost me about $.88 in material (ABS) to print that object.

Todd Brody said:

The Rooster is pure bird, his thoughts are all ways fowl.

It is what it is and that’s what we pay to use the machine. At those prices, they only recommend it for prototyping.

Before it prints, someone has to remove the tray from the last job and load in the tray for this job.

After it prints, someone takes it and puts it into a hot chemical bath to remove the support material (black) from the piece. The piece was actually about 4 cu in and the support material was about another cubic inch.

When I went to pick it up the next day, it was still in the bath and there was still some support material stuck to the lower surface. I went for a sandwich and when I came back, it was entirely “clean” only in need of a water rinse and my account had already been billed.

I guess it was made with the FDM printer then. I see it is a dual head printer (one for support material). So are you completely happy with the result?

Never heard of filament printers having a tray, or using a wash cycle… Thought that was only SLA printers with trays of resin…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Never heard of filament printers having a tray, or using a wash cycle… Thought that was only SLA printers with trays of resin…

Greg

Dual head printer. One head loaded with ABS, the other with soluble support material. The object he’s printing really doesn’t need any support material if oriented “tabletop” side down but would be stronger if printed on it’s side with support material for the 2 other legs. That’s the way I’d print it anyway.

Very happy with the results of the machine with except;

You notice that there is a small slot on either side into which ends of the sandpaper slide. I set these at 0.5mm and they should have been a bit wider (my bad as I thought the media would have more flex). A hacksaw blade fixes that on this one so no big deal.

Also, when I tried to push the sandpaper into the slot, the depth as to how far you can push it is less towards the center than at the ends. Could be residual support material in this area. Again, the hacksaw blade takes care of it.

The material seems very strong, though you can easily push a razor blade into it, and should be able to take the abuse/strain of the job.

The Aristo center section that holds it in place is held with two screws and four locating pins, so should also be able to take the abuse. It fits all similar Aristo center sections (e.g., streamliners), but the longer wheel base of the streamliner would probably take the pad from 1 rail on an 8’ diameter curve. The FA/FB are relatively short and this just nestles between the trucks with enough clearance so as not to touch in a sharp turn.

If I wanted to make more, what would you charge per unit (ballpark) to 92705?

Dan Gilchrist said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

Dual head printer. One head loaded with ABS, the other with soluble support material. The object he’s printing really doesn’t need any support material if oriented “tabletop” side down but would be stronger if printed on it’s side with support material for the 2 other legs. That’s the way I’d print it anyway.

Scratch that. “tabletop” side down would still need a bit of support on the ends.