Large Scale Central

Scratch built water tower

logger getting waterside shot

painted support timbersunpainted baseBuilt the tank out of PVC lumber for the support legs, 6" PVC pipe for the tank, made the spout from stretched CVPC pipe, bands for copper wire, support cables are coat hanger with nuts gluded on and top is from a old bird feeder cut down. The weater vane is from Hobby Lobby and holds it all together. Fun project, Bill

Very nice build, Bill. Love all the details.

Bill,

That is a beautiful water tower…but the level gauge is calibrated backwards. Number 1 should be on the top.

Look all the way on the right side of this blue print for the level gauge…

Darn that is nice. But I also noticed that the water level indicator was backward.

10 ft rule, gentlemen!!! Maybe his railroad gives the measurement on how deep the water is. Feel free to use that if anyone says anything , Bill. Nice job on the water tower!

David Maynard said:

Darn that is nice. But I also noticed that the water level indicator was backward.

Dave

What is backward about the level indicator?

Tom

that is a really nice looking water tank

Dennis

Wow, that turned out great! Lots of character, too!

As the float goes up with the rising water level, the counterweight goes down. So when the tank is full, the counter weight is at its lowest vertical position.

Pete, his indicator is calibrated to show how much air is in the tank.

well, the fact, that everybody is picking on the water level, indicates to me, that we couldn’t find other faults in this build.

at the five foot distance from a standing person’s viewpoint nobody can read the numbers.

my two cents say: a well done project!

No one said his build is not excellent, it is. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Everything I build has a deliberate mistake in it, figured it gives the rivet counters something to look at, It’s funny when I had my outside layout I would put a door on the second story of a building that went no where. put the water spout on the wrong side, things like that. It is amazing what people will notice. Maybe the water level is for Australian viewers as they are up side down and then it would read right. Funny as many times as I have posted that picture, Joe is the first one to notice it. I applaud you Sir, Bill

Bill,

You are a FUNNY man. My comment was by no means meant to be disparaging. You did an excellent job.

Wasn’t taken that way, I thought it was neat that out of all the people who have viewed those pictures you are the only one who has noticed, found a long time ago that if you give people something unusual they will probably remember you or it. Had a train meet about 25 years ago and while at the Deland, FL train show a few years back, had a guy come up to me and asked if I was Bill Barnwell who lived in Ormond Beach, he said I remember coming to my house for a train meet in the 80ths, asked him how he remembered and he stated that I had spelled the name of the town on the water tower wrong, which I had, but not on purpose, but after that I started making things with little quirks, figured it was worth being remembered for something than not remembered at all. See you’re not to far away and if I ever get to where I can travel maybe I’ll get to meet you, Bill

Wow Bill that is a GREAT IDEA , I love it, I love making signs for my buildings, Making a letter or two backwards would be fun, I love YOUR idea. Thanks

I hope you don’t mind me using that.

Dennis

Bill Can you tell us a story of the Copper top/weather vane, it is an attractive addition that is not quite usual

Dennis

David Maynard said:

As the float goes up with the rising water level, the counterweight goes down. So when the tank is full, the counter weight is at its lowest vertical position.

Pete, his indicator is calibrated to show how much air is in the tank.

Sorry! I was looking at Joe’s picture instead of Bill’s picture.

They both look great.

Tom

Bill Barnwell said:

Everything I build has a deliberate mistake in it, figured it gives the rivet counters something to look at, It’s funny when I had my outside layout I would put a door on the second story of a building that went no where. put the water spout on the wrong side, things like that. It is amazing what people will notice. Maybe the water level is for Australian viewers as they are up side down and then it would read right. Funny as many times as I have posted that picture, Joe is the first one to notice it. I applaud you Sir, Bill

Cool.

FYI, a second story door to nowhere isn’t entirely unprototypical. I’ve seen several old buildings with doors like that, usually the result of a balcony being removed at some point in the building’s past. Rather than filling in the doorway, they just nailed the door shut.

Dennis Rayon said:

Bill Can you tell us a story of the Copper top/weather vane, it is an attractive addition that is not quite usual

Dennis

Bill stated “The weather vane is from Hobby Lobby” (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

It was a purchased idem from hobby lobby, when I got the water tower about done I had done another roof which I was about to use but really didn’t like the look, neighbor threw away a bird bath that had a neat top on the bird feeder top which I procured and it was taller, and needed a way to put it on, was looking online and for something to put on the top, thought about a weather vane and found the one shown at hobby lobby died the shaft at the bottom and secure everything with a nut from the bottom. Hardest part was hitting the hole in the bottom to get the shaft thru, had to secure a tube to it to hit the hole, LOL. Not real copper but sealed it real good.