Large Scale Central

A viaduct for the J&B RR

After doing extensive maintenance on my trestle, and looking at the condition, I have decided to replace this 12 foot long trestle and bridge with a 7 foot long viaduct with a couple of curved bridges on either end.

Here’s a shot of a train passing over it yesterday.

The problem is that I hand spiked the rail to the ties and EVERY year I have to re-seat the spikes. I just finished putting on a coat of boiled linseed oil on it, to help preserve the wood (cedar), but noticed that the trestle bents are rotting away.

It IS a cool looking trestle, but I want something that doesn’t require as much maintenance.

The first step is to see how straight it is. I put a pressure treated 2 x 6 on top to see how long the viaduct should be.

Now, what would a Viaduct post be withouth the Marx brothers?

I decided on 7’ for the length of the viaduct; I’ll have an arch cut every foot - so there will be 7 arches total, each half of a 10" diameter circle.

I will use the 2x6 as a platform to lay the track on - just flex track in this case. I’m hoping I can find some AMS tie strips somewhere, so I can use the existing rails.

I am making the sides out of 3/8" Sintec (foamed PVC sheet). They will be 7" high, so I need to cut them to size first. The PVC is 24" x 48" long.

I clamp the 2x6 to the PVC to make a guide for tthe saw and pretty soon I have 4 pieces ready to go.

Eventually, I’d like to use my 2X8 pieces for the curved section to simulate a ballasted through-type plate girder bridge - at least that’s my current thinking.

I was thinking of getting something already made, like these from Split-Jaw, but I’d have to know what radius I need - and I think I already have enough material to make my own.

I thought I was going to do more today, but it’s already 93 degrees out, and OH SO HUMID! Time to come in; maybe I can look for AMS tie strips.

Next up, I’ll start cutting the arches.

Ohhhh, a nice project… Only 93?? Chilly, huh… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Looking forward to watching this build.

Bruce,

looking good, sorry to see the trestle go away. my first bridge is starting to show issues, but every thing is modular, so nex spring I will pull out in it entirety and make some repairs.

Al P.

Andy Clarke said:

Ohhhh, a nice project… Only 93?? Chilly, huh… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I am officially a wimp!

It got down to 90 so I went back out to cut some 2x6 with the chopsaw…had to come in. I was making puddles in the sawdust and couldn’t vacuum them up because they were all too wet - sheesh; it’s not like running a chopsaw takes much effort…put you’d never guess by how sweaty I am. Back to the AC!

Bruce Chandler said:

Andy Clarke said:

I am officially a wimp!

It got down to 90 so I went back out to cut some 2x6 with the chopsaw…had to come in. I was making puddles in the sawdust and couldn’t vacuum them up because they were all too wet - sheesh; it’s not like running a chopsaw takes much effort…put you’d never guess by how sweaty I am. Back to the AC!

Bruce, I know exactly what you mean, been there, done that my whole life… Last time I was out working in that heat, I think I lasted 5 mins, and had to quit…

I’m trying to figure out if this will look OK, but I don’t have a compass that will draw a 10" semicircle for the arches.

But, wait, I DO have a 3D printer!

Off to Tinkercad…eh, I can’t figure how to make this stupid thing…so off to Thingiverse to see if anybody else has done something similar. Sure enough, I found something meant for “Templates for Cupcake Queen Paper Cup Press”, whatever THAT is, but it looks like it could work for me!

So, I loaded the .STL file and scale it to 5" radius, and 3 MM thickness. Now I have a pattern I can use…

OK, it’s only 1/4 of a circle, but easy enough to complete the arch.

Basically, you’re looking at a 7" high side - from the inside. I’ll have some feet in between each arch, and the 7 foot long 2x6 piece will run along the top - with a 3/8" high “wall”. I’m just using one of the feet temporarily as the roadbed to see how everything will fit. I will also cover the bottom of the feet, just so not too much moisture gets into the wood.

Bruce Chandler said:

Basically, you’re looking at a 7" high side - from the inside. I’ll have some feet in between each arch, and the 7 foot long 2x6 piece will run along the top - with a 3/8" high “wall”. I’m just using one of the feet temporarily as the roadbed to see how everything will fit. I will also cover the bottom of the feet, just so not too much moisture gets into the wood.

Grab a chunk of the PVC board and use it as a base for the PT wood, along the bottom between the arches, although I would drill some drain holes in the bottom. (or if you already have that figgered out, forget I said anything…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif))

I was going to ask the thickness of your material and do you own a router as I was honestly thinking about posting a Viaduct build I did a few years back for the local museum layout. However I will hold and watch your progress. I’m watching and enjoying your procedures…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

but I don’t have a compass that will draw a 10" semicircle for the arches.

Yes you do …think old school not new school …a yard stick with holes drilled in it for a pencil make a trammel

" Rooster " said:

Bruce Chandler said:

but I don’t have a compass that will draw a 10" semicircle for the arches.

Yes you do …think old school not new school …a yard stick with holes drilled in it for a pencil make a trammel

Gosh, it is refreshing to see you young Bucks even know about things like Trammel points, things that us old Farts have been using for years, and with fair success I might add.

Rick

Good for circles, not as good for a semi-circle without a good place to anchor the center point…(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Interesting project. So far my trestles are holding up well, thanks to our dry climate. But my concrete viaduct is going to need replacing pretty soon due to rusting rebars. I’m not looking forward to that job.

Wrong. I used 2 pieces of lath as my trammel. The end of the 2 are connected with a brad, one is for clamping to my work-piece, and the other (longer one) is for drawing the arcs.

Thanks. One of the main reasons I post a project is to get some other ideas on how to do something.

Bruce Chandler said:

I’m trying to figure out if this will look OK, but I don’t have a compass that will draw a 10" semicircle for the arches.

in a case like that i just raid the kichen.

a bowl or plate of the right diameter - and off i go!

Looks like the Augwick(sp?) Creek viaduct on the EBT. Great example of the real world.

I love the idea of creating the needed tool on a 3D printer. But I guess I find my self in the old school way of creating a compass or trammel to draw the needed pattern.

93 degrees is way above my tolerance these days. The HO layout is getting lots of time, because of the AC.

Keep up the good work and documentation, Bruce.

Korm Kormsen said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Yeah, that was my first thought. But, wrong size (either 9" or 11") and it WOULD make a strange looking arch! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

To me, 3D printer to the rescue - especially when I didn’t have to try to design the piece myself!

Whatever woiks.

Bruce Chandler said:

Korm Kormsen said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Yeah, that was my first thought. But, wrong size (either 9" or 11") and it WOULD make a strange looking arch! (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

To me, 3D printer to the rescue - especially when I didn’t have to try to design the piece myself!

Flip it over and see if it’s “Occupied Japan” then look for the Noritake or Nippon mark. If neither are shown then it could possibly be used for a scalloped arch viaduct if you prefer to outline your arches that way.

Ric Golding said:

I love the idea of creating the needed tool

Can 3d printers really do this ? Millions of wives are flocking to the 3d printer store if this is true. I must be true as the internet says so!

Damnation…for an under 50yr old young guy I’m so lost with technology anymore !