Forums Modeling Other Scales
  • Topic: 7.5 inch Gauge Number 5 Turnout Build

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 16, 2018 9:27 AM EDT
      • Missouri

• Thanks

That looks like a much more pleasant way to work on rail than if you were working on the real MoPac/UP here today, below freezing, visible ice on trees and power lines, and gusts over 20mph.

The sacrificial boards are probably something my brain wouldn't have intellectually thought of beforehand but when setting up the work it would have looked at it and gone, "Ya know what, ..."

• April 16, 2018 1:59 PM EDT
      • Burbank, CA

• Thanks

Forrest Scott Wood said:

That looks like a much more pleasant way to work on rail than if you were working on the real MoPac/UP here today, below freezing, visible ice on trees and power lines, and gusts over 20mph.

The sacrificial boards are probably something my brain wouldn't have intellectually thought of beforehand but when setting up the work it would have looked at it and gone, "Ya know what, ..."

Weather has been great here. Winter is long gone :). Mid-eighties and high seventies past couple of weeks. The ONLY "bad" weather we've had is the Santa Ana Winds. Wind was a little gusty last Saturday and had to take a break. Gusts close to 40-50 mph in our hills above the SF Valley.

The sacrificial boards are really old school. Have to have them when cutting very close to the table surface. I have an inexpensive small mill, but I used to work with $100K+ Haas CNC mills and $300K hydrotels in the old days. You always used sacrificial steel parallels or for lightweight work it was wood when cutting on these machines. "Most" toolmakers and class A machinists pride themselves on perserving the tables and keeping them as pristine as possible :).

This post was edited by Gary Armitstead at April 16, 2018 2:37 PM EDT
    • April 16, 2018 5:25 PM EDT
      • Missouri

• Thanks

That's why you are the machinist and I'm not!

A few days ago it was up to 87F here. Loop-de-loop weather.

• April 16, 2018 6:33 PM EDT
      • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Ha, bad words are cheep, and rather cathartic, just so long at you don't use them in the wrong setting, or with the wrong audience. Now mistakes can be expensive, and/or painful.

Shannon car Shops
      Home of the infamous leg lamp

I.A.R.R.R. Member #12

and King Butt Modeler

Forums Modeling Other Scales

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google