Large Scale Central

Impact of PTC mandate on Live Steam excursions?

What (if any) will be the impact of the PTC mandate on Live Steam excursions?

Will specialized PTC equipment be installed in the live steam engines, or will they operate under some sort of (limited?) waiver?

Is the answer different for class 1 and excursion railways?

Thanks,

-Keith.

Keith,

I would have to ask how you think modern technology control would be implemented on antique mechanical devices?

My wise guy question asked, I think a major part of your question is tempered by whether the railroad is operating on common carrier trackage, and how that trackage is controlled. If the railroad blocking out the section the excursion is operating on (similar to a touri or amusement park line), it should be simple. Combine that with the considerab slower speeds and I would hope they exclude these types of ‘extras’ f rom the legislation.

Most mainline steam excursions run with a backup diesel. The diesel would most likely be PTC equipped. I believe the FRA regulations specific PTC for specific trackage; ie above 10 mph, hazardous materials, etc. So if you don’t meet all of the requirements than PTC isn’t required.

Will specialized PTC equipment be installed in the live steam engines,

All mainline UK steam engines have PTC (the local equivalent is actually the “Train Protection & Warning System” or TWPS.) They do not run with backup diesels, and normal speeds (for electric and diesel) are around 125mph. Steam is currently restricted to 75mph, but “Tornado” was recently tested at 90mph, as the differential between a 75mph steam excursion and a 125mph High Speed Train is a timetable problem.