Large Scale Central

Phoenix P8 voltage whistle

I have a Phoenix P8 installed with a Deltang Rx65b in my Bachmann 4-4-0, the annoying problem is the automatic voltage controlled whistle activates at normal operating speed and continues to loop untill I slow or speed up. Has anybody else experienced this issue? I have the exact same setup in my K-27 with no issues.

Using the same ESC in the K-27? Clearly the whistle is blowing since the P8 is interpreting the PWM full voltage pulses as “flat out DC voltage”…

Everything else is the same, even the Phoenix firmware?

Greg

Hi Greg. Both the same ESC, everthing else the same, no idea about firmware sorry, card came direct from Phoenix last year.

Guess you need the programmer to turn it off.

Not a fix, but maybe a work-around to help your annoyance factor. In the older units (Big Sound 97), If you play the crossing whistle manually (or trigger w/magnet) it will not play automatically after that. I need to do this with a Shay that blows crossings nearly constantly.

Dan, I fear that may be the only fix.

Jon, playing the whistle does cancel the crossing whistle, however, it decides it wants to play it again soon after… Sounds like we have a similar issue.

I know my Sierra is a great detector of dirty track and power pick ups. When it starts acting like that, I need to clean the track, the wheels, and make sure my power pick ups are all still spring loaded. Then the problem goes away. Could the Phoenix be susceptible to the same cause?

Alec Escolme said:

Dan, I fear that may be the only fix.

Jon, playing the whistle does cancel the crossing whistle, however, it decides it wants to play it again soon after… Sounds like we have a similar issue.

OK, it was worth a try. On the old 97 board after you play it manually it stays in manual mode until powered off. Those old boards wern’t programmable so it was one way Phoenix allowed users to disable it. Makes sense that the feature went away in the programmable boards since you can change all of that with software.